BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know a site ( since i dont see it here) that has a diy on these kind of bumpers and skirt? Any help is appreciated....thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi the bumbers and side sills on your car are removed exactly the same way as the Mtech bumbers and sills.

The side sills are held on by a row of black clips at the bottom underside of the car, use a pair of angled side cutters to leaver the centre pin out of the clips then remove the clips from the sill. Grab the rear of the sill and gently pull away from the car working your hands along the top of the sill to help it pop of its top clips and thats it. When refitting make sure all the white clips are undamaged and lined up then just simply push the top of the sill onto the white clips, fit the lower black clips and secure with the center pins.

The front bumber

Turn your wheels full lock so that you can see the front of the plastic wheel liner, look in you will see a row of three small bolts remove them do the same on the other side. Now remove the small screws on the left and right underside of the bumber there should be two on each side.
You will notice that the plastic undertray is attached to the bumber with the same type of clips as the sills remove the center pins.
If you look either side of the number plate holder you will see two large-ish holes, use an ratchet,extension with a T50 torx socket to remove the main bumber support bolts, remove the bolts completely, you should now notice the bumber is loose so if you carefully slide it forward a little you will be able to disconnect the horns (on both sides) now completely remove the bumber

Rear bumber without PDC

Again look at the plastic wheel liner (at rear of wheel) you will see the same type of clip used on the sill, remove its center pin, just above this is a small bolt remove this now do the same on the other side.
look along the back of the lower bumber you will see two more holes once again undo the main bumber bolts with the T50 etc remove bolts completely now grab the bumber and carefully pull away from the car
If you do have PDC you can unplug all of the sensors X4 as you remove the bumber

When refitting make sure the metal clip positioned on the wheel arch is attached to the side of the bumber this clip helps hold the bumber close to the wheel arch

Thats it job done

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi the bumbers and side sills on your car are removed exactly the same way as the Mtech bumbers and sills.

The side sills are held on by a row of black clips at the bottom underside of the car, use a pair of angled side cutters to leaver the centre pin out of the clips then remove the clips from the sill. Grab the rear of the sill and gently pull away from the car working your hands along the top of the sill to help it pop of its top clips and thats it. When refitting make sure all the white clips are undamaged and lined up then just simply push the top of the sill onto the white clips, fit the lower black clips and secure with the center pins.

The front bumber

Turn your wheels full lock so that you can see the front of the plastic wheel liner, look in you will see a row of three small bolts remove them do the same on the other side. Now remove the small screws on the left and right underside of the bumber there should be two on each side.
You will notice that the plastic undertray is attached to the bumber with the same type of clips as the sills remove the center pins.
If you look either side of the number plate holder you will see two large-ish holes, use an ratchet,extension with a T50 torx socket to remove the main bumber support bolts, remove the bolts completely, you should now notice the bumber is loose so if you carefully slide it forward a little you will be able to disconnect the horns (on both sides) now completely remove the bumber

Rear bumber without PDC

Again look at the plastic wheel liner (at rear of wheel) you will see the same type of clip used on the sill, remove its center pin, just above this is a small bolt remove this now do the same on the other side.
look along the back of the lower bumber you will see two more holes once again undo the main bumber bolts with the T50 etc remove bolts completely now grab the bumber and carefully pull away from the car
If you do have PDC you can unplug all of the sensors X4 as you remove the bumber

When refitting make sure the metal clip positioned on the wheel arch is attached to the side of the bumber this clip helps hold the bumber close to the wheel arch

Thats it job done
hey man! you're awesome, mtech 2 kit all around will be installed. You write up is very straight forward, thanks, i appreciate it! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
No problem anytime I can help.
I fitted my mtech II kit in around an hour and a half it is really that easy
Get a hand with guiding the rear bumber onto the side sliding mounting though as you dont want to scratch the paintwork on your car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, sorry to bring this thread back up again.

I am in the process of fitting an MTech rear bumper to my e46 sedan.
I got the stock bumper off easily enough, but the MTech one appears to have different fittings to the stock one.

Just for the record, i bought a used bumper that came with just the diffuser. I didnt get any brackets/trim with it.

This is the bracket on the car at prsent -

and this is the Mtech bumper guide/fitting -

As you can see the bumpers guides will not fit on the bracket that is currently on the car.
I am waiting for the BMW dealer to open in he morning so i can call them , bu can anyone tell me if the bracket on the car is definitely different for the Mtech bumper, and also what other parts i may need to fit this MTech bumper?

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
...As you can see the bumpers guides will not fit on the bracket that is currently on the car.
I am waiting for the BMW dealer to open in he morning so i can call them , bu can anyone tell me if the bracket on the car is definitely different for the Mtech bumper, and also what other parts i may need to fit this MTech bumper?

Thanks

I didn't know the year and model of your car when I did a quick search on realoem.com but this would be a good start. Just play with this site and you'll eventually find what you need.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ET36&mospid=47639&btnr=51_4543&hg=51&fg=15 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
cheers redrogue. Sorry, I should have mentioned my model. I have a 11/2001 produced 318i se.

From that link you sent me, it looks like parts 7,8, and 17 are the ones that I will need as I dont have anything on my car that resembles any of them, especially that hook one (number 8).

I will give the dealer a call in the morning.
Thanks again for your help. :)

Lucky it wasnt too much effort to get the stock bumper off and back on again, else I would have been really gutted!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts