BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent $200 getting a bmw facelift bumper painted alpine white (origionally jet black) at a paint shop by my house that my friend's dad's company works with. I got my bumper back and it looked nice. I let it sit for two weeks then began the install on my car. In looking closer at it next to my car the bumper is almost pure white, not at all alpine white which is a much darker shade. Also it was organge peeled all over it, as well as when i set the bumper down on a blanket to keep it off anything hard, it left the imprint of the blanket seems all down the bumper. More problems were paint chipping when installing the trim/taking off the trim. With the paint chips i found that under the white paint there was the origional black paint, not primered, not sanded. I took the bumper back to the shop today, and they told me that it was my fault that the bumper had paint chips, was orange peeled, and was imbrodered with some flower pattern off of a blanket that i own. As for the color they said it was an exact match to my car, but paint looks diferent on plastic than on metal. Finally they concluded that they would repaint the bumper to perfectly match my car if i gave them another $100 for materials. What does everyone think I should do? Unfortunatly I couldnt yell at the manager of the shop and tell them what i think because they speak spanish, and my friend, the one who's dads company relies on the paint shop, was there translating for me. What should I do? Is this what I get when i ask some one to repaint a bumper for me? Should it be not sanded or primered? Should the paint be that soft? Thanks for any help, I'm just a student so these $300 at stake mean a lot to me as I dont get much time to work for my spare $$. Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated

·
unregistered user
825 Posts
If your $200 price you agreed with them included sanding, primer, and prep work then you need to take it back and make them redo it. If the $200 was only for paint then maybe you'll have to pay the extra. Obviously they did a piss poor job and any paint shop worth a damn should repaint it at the least...but you may have to pay extra for the prep if that wasn't inlcuded initially.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Unless they are going to repaint it free of charge..go some where else. Id rather spend another 200 then give them another 100% (maybe thats just me), b/c they obviously arent a quality shop. If the blanket left an imprint; the bumper wasnt dry and they should not have let you take it. That happned to me, and my shop re-did it; no charge.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bradleyg said:
If your $200 price you agreed with them included sanding, primer, and prep work then you need to take it back and make them redo it. If the $200 was only for paint then maybe you'll have to pay the extra. Obviously they did a piss poor job and any paint shop worth a damn should repaint it at the least...but you may have to pay extra for the prep if that wasn't inlcuded initially.
When I initially worked out the deal for $200 for the painting of the bumper I had assumed that in order to do the job one would have to sand/ primer the bumper before paint...isn't that the standard? I know I really should have asked about this ahead of time, but I never thought it possible just to spray some cheep paint on a bumper w/out taking off the old paint and charge 200$
:cry:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My1stM3 said:
Unless they are going to repaint it free of charge..go some where else. Id rather spend another 200 then give them another 100.
:werd: If they did sub-par work in the first place, chances are they will do sub-par work again. I would absolutely take it somewhere else if you are unable to get the original shop to repaint free of charge.

That sucks, sorry to hear about that. Hopefully they will make it right. The problem is they already have your money; I would file a complaint with the BBB if they refuse to repaint it.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,463 Posts
man your still having problems. take it somewhere else. or you could buy some 1000 grit and sand the whole bumper to where it doesnt shine no more. then take it to the shop and have them paint it for 100. that should take care of your problem. the reason it is not sticking is they did not sand it. you dont have to reprimer you can just sand to take the shine away and put a new coat of paint.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nikemykee said:
man your still having problems. take it somewhere else. or you could buy some 1000 grit and sand the whole bumper to where it doesnt shine no more. then take it to the shop and have them paint it for 100. that should take care of your problem. the reason it is not sticking is they did not sand it. you dont have to reprimer you can just sand to take the shine away and put a new coat of paint.
Yeah, I would just do that, but then again, i dont even know if it's gonna fit on my car this time...so i'm having second thought, I might just screw it and sell the fogs in the classifieds n try to get back some of my $350...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts