BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didnt find anything like my problem. Hence the one of kind statement. If i was wrong and there were other threads like this; you must show proof and then you may give me 10 e-lashings :eeps:

I bought a set of OEM projectors from my friend for $70. Good deal, I know.

When I installed them, everything was ok. The next day when I turned on my car, the dash bulb out warning popped up when my lights were in the off position. I turned the switch to the headlights on position and the lights fired up right away and the bulb out warning went away. As long as i kept the headlights on, the bulb out warning would stay off. If i turn the switch to parking lights or off, the bulb out warning will light up again in 5 min or so, but when I turn the headlights on the warning goes away again.

This isnt so much a problem as it is an annoyance. The headlights work so its not that big of a deal, but I just want to get everything figured out. Im going to buy new bulbs soon because I want a different color. Do you guys think this will fix the problem?

Thanks for the help! :bow:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
not so much one of a kind problem man, this happens on any car with retrofitted projectors that haven't had the lcm flashed, mine included

·
Registered
298 Posts
i retrofitted oem AL bosch bixenons into my halogen equipped car and proceded to the dealer for a flash and paid. the result was that they were not able to get them to work. what? i've read it's done all the time. so F'm and bought the ebay cancelers that were like 20 bucks....they burn perfect now :woot:

·
Registered
88 Posts
get some cancelers. The problem from what i've read is that the car only searches for dead bulbs while they aren't on. Since you can't check resistance on a powered up circuit. They see the wrong resistance and say there is a problem. You lucked out. Without cancelers my car didn't show bulb out problems. Instead, my brake lights were stuck on and the indicator showed my breaklights were out... get the cancelers.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
i retrofitted oem AL bosch bixenons into my halogen equipped car and proceded to the dealer for a flash and paid. the result was that they were not able to get them to work. what? i've read it's done all the time. so F'm and bought the ebay cancelers that were like 20 bucks....they burn perfect now :woot:
Most of the dealers seem to screw this up - mine did too. They didn't realize it's a two-step process.

Go under retrofits, hit the retrofit xenons button. The software will do its thing and then return you back to the main menu. Then you go back into the coding section and recode the LSZ. That last step is what they usually miss. (And I don't blame them, the retrofit option seems to indicate it does the whole thing, but it doesn't).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts