BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Following up my inexplicable P1345 code, I ended up removing the engine to further investigate. Seems that, I had stuck piston rings on Cyl2 and the rest of the oil ring holes are completely blocked from carbon(?) deposits. Since the engine is out, I also decided to take it a step further by replacing the following (all genuine BMW parts unless mentioned explicitly)

1. Intake/Exhaust/Crank Sensors
2. Crank front/rear seals
3. Crank polishing/balancing
4. ARP conrod bolts
5. Timing chain guides, chain, oil pump chain (pump already reinforced)
6. Motorsport oil pump chain tensioner, ordered from Audi dealership
7. Lower CR pistons from CP, 9.0:1, ceramic coated :evil:
8. Knock sensors, coolant lines, whatever is below inlet manifold
9. New wiring loom
10. Port/polish of head
11. New valve seals
12. Stock 0.7mm or 1.0mm headgasket (depending on machinework)
13. Block timeserting
14. Starter refurbishment
15. Aluminum pulleys (stock diameter) for WP, PS
16. Rebuilt alternator
17. S54 Oil filter housing
18. 68mm supercharger pulley (around 15PSI)
19. Provision for meth injection
20. Port matching ESS inlet manifold with head
21. Port matching exhaust manifold with M-S54 headers
22. Gaskets, o-rings, bolts, nuts, etc

Pics to confirm the project already started :)

·
Registered
2004 330CI 6spd
456 Posts
Built M54B30 Project Started!

Looks like a great build, keep us updated!

Maybe some stiffer valve springs too. Since you’re doing the seals it’ll be that extra peace of mind.

Cheers; E46Envyy

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks interesting. I heard bmw heads, at least the ones in the the e46s are “unserviceable” because they have one time use head studs or something like that. Blew the head gasket on my 330i and half the mechanics don’t wanna rich it and the other half suggest I get a new car cause of the cost to rebuild the motor 🤣

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks interesting. I heard bmw heads, at least the ones in the the e46s are “unserviceable” because they have one time use head studs or something like that. Blew the head gasket on my 330i and half the mechanics don’t wanna rich it and the other half suggest I get a new car cause of the cost to rebuild the motor ***129315;

The head bolts are one-use and I plan to get genuine bolts. The issue is when overheated, the aluminum block tends to get softer and the bolts cannot hold the correct torque anymore. This is alleviated using timeserts.

In my case, even if the engine never overheated, the block is perfectly flat, it will get timeserted for the added piece of mind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ooh ok. So still ‘do-able’ just gotta find someone who knows how? Bought my 330i and it’s literally in perfect condition. M package so comes with goodies. And all leather, dash, floor, engine bay, literally everything is clean but the motor had 180k and started puffing white smoke out the exhaust. Haven’t drove it since.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,517 Posts
the motor had 180k and started puffing white smoke out the exhaust. Haven’t drove it since.
Can you start a separate thread for your car’s smoking issue?
It may just be a failed CCV valve. Compression and leak down tests would give more info.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,161 Posts
So she is finally getting the full monty! I want to say you had mentioned at some point that you were always planning to do a full tear down and rebuild on the 'new' b30 motor, but I can't remember exactly.

Btw, no mention of piston rings on the parts list above. Do the new CP pistons come with their own rings or will you need to source a new Mahle set?

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yes getting the full treatment, when I got the B30 about 2 years ago, I refreshed everything around it, did not go deeper. Now it's time, although I wasn't planning on it. The pistons come with their own matching rings. They can be ordered with the desired bore (stock or more) and desired compression ratio. I am aiming to 15psi which is what the ESS TS3 s/c produces with 9.0:1 comp ratio. Pistons will also be ordered with ceramic coating.

as far as the power level i'm aiming, stock head bolts are fine, however depending on the final budget I will see the studs option as well.

Supplementary upgrades will be a 6-speed gearbox with custom driveshaft and M3 fuel pump. This was part of the deal with the mechanic :)

Edit: pistons & rings link: https://store.vacmotorsports.com/cp-carrillo-forged-piston-set-bmw-m54-p782.aspx

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
what's a motorsport chain tensioner ? I would suggest for your oil pump to go with this ;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPGRADED-SPORT-OIL-PUMP-BMW-M54-M54B30-M54B25-M52TU-M52TUB28-E46-330i-328i-E39/174087223228?hash=item28886837bc:g:V7IAAOSwt5VbBX3J

and not some half baked safety wire or single bolt solution , this is the best option I ve seen

xairetismata apo patra :)
Kalispera!

My oil pump has the hardened oil shaft with 4 bolts from PRD, no half-ass solutions

The oil pump chain tensioner mounts next to the crank journal and provides tension to the chain. Need to drill and tap the block so it's ideal now.
Google Audi part 06A 115 130 B or Febi 33637

I have the CAD drawing where to drill exactly for the tensioner

·
Registered
826 Posts
following this. Basically you're doing what I was doing, but one step further, better and more expensive :D

Also, wouldn't it be better to go for the 1mm HG regardless, because of the supercharger you got? Lower compression seems like the better option then.

·
Registered
'01 320Ci manual
337 Posts
Kalispera!

My oil pump has the hardened oil shaft with 4 bolts from PRD, no half-ass solutions

The oil pump chain tensioner mounts next to the crank journal and provides tension to the chain. Need to drill and tap the block so it's ideal now.
Google Audi part 06A 115 130 B or Febi 33637

I have the CAD drawing where to drill exactly for the tensioner
Perfect

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Does the use of head studs negate the need for timeserts?
For an engine that hasn't been overheated, you don't need Timeserts.
Studs don't stretch as much as TTY head bolts, and arguably put more stress on the block. Their advantage is that they engage more threads. The M54 has shallow head bolt engagement (fewer threads engage and they are closer to the deck), so even a few more threads is significant.

Modern design practice has the head bolts anchor deeper to minimize the upper cylinder distortion and provide more length for the head bolts to provide consistent tension with thermal expansion.

Note that with studs you won't be able to remove the head while the engine is in the car. That might not be a problem if you plan on blowing the whole bottom end up. But you plan on the supercharger only blowing the head gasket, it's going to be annoying.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Note that with studs you won't be able to remove the head while the engine is in the car. That might not be a problem if you plan on blowing the whole bottom end up. But you plan on the supercharger only blowing the head gasket, it's going to be annoying.
how is that?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
how is that?
Partially humor, while pointing out that studs change the geometry of removing the head with the engine block remaining in the car.
For some enthusiasts this is not an issue, as they expect to remove the engine regularly. That tends to overlap with people that want to add a supercharger.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts