E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
241 - 260 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 · (Edited)
The new thermostat & housing is installed. It's a pretty easy job, if you don't have a clutch fan.

The old one was a MotoRad unit. They're a reputable brand, but even good stuff wears out eventually.

About 6 months ago, the old thermostat started leaking by the electrical plug. I had to disassemble it, to reseal the o-ring where the electrical connection goes through the housing. Now the thermostat is slow to open. So I think it was overdue for replacement anyway.

Next on the to-do list is transmission service. I also want to install a transmission oil cooler. And I have the Transgo pressure valve kit. Should be fun. 😎

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Lately, the weather has been really hot and humid. I don't feel like going out there and sweating my balls off right now. But I did get a chance to drive the BMW around. And I got some in-car footage of the exhaust sound. Personally, I think it's an acquired taste. But of course, people's opinions will differ.

·
Registered
1980 733i, 2006 m3
328 Posts
You sure do make great videos. Music, narration, all of it. Great progression on the ride.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Thanks for the compliment. But I'm still a noob when it comes to video production. There is lots of room to improve.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
BTW, the thermostat fixed the overheating issue. Also, I want to hit the drag strip tomorrow. The weather forecast says it shouldn't rain. But that's no guarantee. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
1980 733i, 2006 m3
328 Posts
Surely,Good luck with the weather, and great skills at the track! Let us know how she does.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
I just got back from the drag strip. Things did not go as planned. I had to have the car towed home.

I need to get some sleep. So we'll begin the damage assessment tomorrow.

·
Registered
2001 325i Touring. 5-speed manual. Formerly automatic.
286 Posts
I just got back from the drag strip. Things did not go as planned. I had to have the car towed home.

I need to get some sleep. So we'll begin the damage assessment tomorrow.
Ah man, sucks to hear. What were the signs leading up to that?

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Sorry for the delay, had to step away from the BMW for a few days. Anyway, here's what happened. During my first run, the upper radiator hose failed and puked out all the coolant. I only have myself to blame for this. That was the one hose I didn't replace... because it didn't look that bad. DOH!

In the video below, I talk about the situation in more detail.

I ordered a new hose, and it arrived yesterday. Haven't had time to install it yet. I just hope it didn't blow the head gasket or warp / crack the head. Keep your fingers crossed! 🤞

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Good news! The new radiator hose is installed. I refilled the cooling system, and ran the engine a bit. There's no coolant in the oil, or vice versa. And I don't see exhaust gases venting out the cooling system. So I think the head gasket and cylinder head are OK. (knock on wood)

Also, I got tired of the ratty old steering wheel, and installed a new one. The new steering wheel is also lighter weight, and a little bit smaller in diameter. It should be more suitable for performance driving.

It's nothing special, just a cheapie from ebay. I haven't hooked up the horn button yet, looking for wiring diagrams now.

That said, this frees up some wiring connections in the clockspring. I plan to install paddle shifters in the future, so that wiring can be repurposed.

Oh, and I also installed the HVAC control panel relocate kit. Next step will be to fill the area where the radio used to be with some gauges and stuff. Should be fun. I also still need to do the transmission service and the engine oil flush (with DMSO). So there's plenty enough to keep me busy.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
The video covering the post-race repairs and the steering wheel install is now up! I cover the steering wheel install in detail, in the video. It's pretty straightforward, though.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
I got a chance to drive the car a bit, since installing the steering wheel. And I like it. Maybe it's just a psychological thing, but I feel more "in control" of the car.

Also, I'm finally getting around to the DMSO engine treatment. I've already done the DMSO part. But it needs a couple more oil changes to clear out the residue. I'm using el cheapo oil and filters for the flush. After that's done, I'll switch to better oil and filters. See photo below.

PS- the oil with the DMSO in it had a really pungent odor. It reminded me of fireworks smoke. Probably the sulfur.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
I'm currently on the second "rinse cycle" after the DMSO treatment. Think of it like a washing machine. You have a wash cycle, and a rinse cycle. The DMSO treatment is the wash cycle. Then you need to rinse out the residue. In my case, it took 2 rinse cycles (i.e. 2 oil and filter changes) to clean out the residue.

The first rinse cycle lasted about 20 minutes. No joke. I drove to the gas station, then took the long way home. By the time I got home, the valvetrain was getting noisy. I checked the oil filter, and it was full of trash. Plus the oil was dark brown. So I replaced the oil and filter, for a second rinse.

I'm currently on the second rinse. I did the "drive it to the gas station" thing again. This time, there was no valvetrain noise. When I got home, I checked the oil filter. There was some trash in it, but not nearly as much as before. And the oil is still an amber color. I think I'll drive it some more, before putting the good oil and filter in it, just to be thorough.

So it looks like I'll be doing a total of 4 oil & filter changes.

1) El cheapo oil and filter, with DMSO mixed in the oil
2) El cheapo oil and filter, to rinse out the trash
3) El cheapo oil and filter, second rinse
4) Good oil and filter, for normal use

I also kept the oil filters, so I can cut them apart and look at the trash buildup. Should be fun. 😎

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
As promised, I cut open the oil filters to see what lurks inside. I also took samples of the oil as it drained out. Here are the oil samples.

The old oil is just for reference. That oil was in the engine for about 6 months. It was getting pretty dirty. The oil used with the DMSO flush was also pretty dirty. But that's expected, because it's supposed to be cleaning out the crud. However, that oil had a reddish-brown tint. I guess it cleaned out some of the reddish-brown residue inside the engine. The oil from the two rinse cycles was cleaner, with the second one being the cleanest. Now I feel more confident about going back to a normal oil and filter.

The filters tell a similar story.

The old filter (before the DMSO treatment) was caked with carbon buildup. I'm pretty sure that was stuff that was loosened up during previous cleaning attempts. The filter from the DMSO treatment was also very dirty. But the chunks of carbon were smaller. DMSO is supposed to break up the carbon buildup, so that makes sense. And the two filters from the rinse cycles were cleaner... or maybe I should say less filthy.

Anyway, the engine now has the Valvoline high mileage oil and a decent filter in it. I bought a couple spare filters, just in case.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I made a video about the engine oil flush. The video covers the results in more detail.

That said, the computer was being difficult today. It crashed twice during video editing, then corrupted the file while I was making the finishing touches. I wasn't going to spend another 5 hours remaking the video from scratch, so I salvaged what I could. Maybe it's time for a computer upgrade... :unsure:

Anyway, here's the video.

Next up is transmission service. I'll be doing a fluid & filter change, plus the TransGo pressure valve upgrade, and an add-on transmission cooler, all in one shot. Should be fun. 😎

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,752 Posts
I made a video about the engine oil flush. The video covers the results in more detail.

That said, the computer was being difficult today. It crashed twice during video editing, then corrupted the file while I was making the finishing touches. I wasn't going to spend another 5 hours remaking the video from scratch, so I salvaged what I could. Maybe it's time for a computer upgrade... :unsure:

Anyway, here's the video.

Next up is transmission service. I'll be doing a fluid & filter change, plus the TransGo pressure valve upgrade, and an add-on transmission cooler, all in one shot. Should be fun. 😎
Great presentation and should be helpful to many, with questions.

What will never be known, but I'm sure of benefit to anyone is what carbon deposits ("Coking") was/is removed from the oil control rings. I'd have to think you did yourself a "long term" favor by additionally cleaning them. (y)

I do remain curious about the long term effects on rubberized parts (seals, vanos hose etc.) that come into contact with the DSMO.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
That's the conundrum. To know for sure about the rings, I'd have to tear down the engine. But at that point, it would be better to have everything cleaned properly.

I'm also curious about the affects (if any) on the gaskets and seals. Most of them have been replaced already. So hopefully they'll be OK. Time will tell. If anything noteworthy happens, I'll do an update.

241 - 260 of 277 Posts