E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Here's the video on the cooling system maintenance.

Next up is the power steering system. Like I mentioned earlier, I picked up a power steering cooler at the salvage yard. It was from a Ford pickup truck. I'm also going to replace the reservoir, and some of the lines.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Basket Case BMW now has a lightweight AGM battery. I installed an Odyssey PC680. It's about 27 pounds lighter than the stock battery.

The car has now reached my 2800 pound goal. So let's move the goal posts. Can I get it down to 2700? 😎
Have a PC680 in my race car too!!! Way to go!

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,752 Posts
Nice video. Should help some neophytes out.(y)

A couple of thoughts (and I'm not being a critic) to aid some in the future:

1) Water pump studs are asymmetrical, so it can't go in upside-down.
2) Always remove both serpentine belts before draining any coolant over them. As they age, they dry out. They just love to soak up some of the coolant running over them. Then in time they can develop a very annoying crick-crick noise at certain temperatures. Despite rinsing.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
P/S Cooler:
Being installed on the "return" circuit. correct?
I would advise the same "spring" type clamps to negate any sort of common loosening associated with conventional worm drive clamps. They keep their tension, if sized correctly.
Install once and forget.

We tried an interesting project 3 years ago.
A complete rebuild of a 1988 M3.
EVERY hose under the hood (save one or two) had modern spring clamps by Mubea.
They are a OEM to VW, Audi & BMW.

With the conventional worm clamps, no matter how hard we tried, there was usually one or two hoses that would have a slight drip in time, owing to the rubber under the clamp shrinking. After some 3 visits and a year, the clamp re-tightening regimen solves such.

With the spring clamps; Dry as a bone. The clamps keep constant tension.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
I'm also not a fan of jubilee clamps. The new lines came with Oetiker clamps (crimp-on style). I'm not a fan of those, either. The spring clamps sound like a good idea. And I plan to do a junkyard run soon.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. So here's a mock-up of the power steering cooler.

Basically, I'm going to cut the end off the stock unit, and splice in the "new" one. I should be able to find some flare fittings at the hardware store.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Good news! I dropped by the local salvage yard, and was able to find a nice selection of spring clamps. I brought a couple clamps from the power steering hoses, for reference. I got a bunch of extras, to keep in case I need them.

Also, there was one E46 330i in the yard. So I grabbed the intake manifold. Why? I want to dissect it, and see how it works. And who knows, I might be able to do something interesting with it. But that will be a back burner project.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
1,389 Posts
Holy crap. How did I miss your project thread? This is like the third recent build thread I've not noticed on here.

I really like you've even done vids showing your progress. I keep wanting to do vids but I don't know how to edit what I record.

Anyway, nice job on your build. I like it.

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
1,389 Posts
Good news! I dropped by the local salvage yard, and was able to find a nice selection of spring clamps. I brought a couple clamps from the power steering hoses, for reference. I got a bunch of extras, to keep in case I need them.

Also, there was one E46 330i in the yard. So I grabbed the intake manifold. Why? I want to dissect it, and see how it works. And who knows, I might be able to do something interesting with it. But that will be a back burner project.

I have an m54b30 intake if you need another one. No charge, just pay shipping.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
The exhaust bits finally came in; shipment was delayed. I was originally going to tackle this before the steering, but now it'll come after. This will fill in the void left by the muffler delete.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
I haven't had time to work on the BMW lately. So things are starting to pile up. Here's another item to add to that growing list.

It's ironic, because when I had time to work on the car, I had to wait for shipping. Now that I'm busy with other things, all the goodies are showing up. LOL

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 · (Edited)
The work on the steering system is complete! Replacing the reservoir and the two hoses was pretty easy. I installed the hoses using some of the spring clamps I scavenged from the salvage yard. Hopefully that will prevent any future leaks.

I also removed the A/C condenser. I had to remove the front end to get at the power steering cooler, anyway. Speaking of the steering cooler, I also got the Ford power steering cooler installed. That was an adventure. The Ford unit has 3/8" diameter pipes, but the BMW has 12mm diameter pipes. I'm not sure if such an adapter even exists. So I got a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter, and "enlarged" the 12mm pipe to fit. When I say "enlarged", I mean I found some 1/2" OD thin-wall tubing and slipped it on the 12mm pipe. The tubing was 11.98mm ID, so I had to heat it with a torch to expand it enough to fit over the 12mm pipe.

Anyway, here's the end result:

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I'm not sure if anyone will want to replicate the Ford power steering cooler upgrade. But just in case, here's the tubing I used to sleeve the pipe. This allowed me to use 3/8" to 1/2" pipe fittings.

I got it from Ace Hardware. But I'm sure other vendors sell it as well. I also got the pipe fittings from Ace Hardware.

Also, here's another shot of the power steering cooler, looking through the grille. I like it. 😎

Unfortunately, the engine started overheating while I was checking for power steering leaks. I shut it down immediately, and put a fan on it. When I was feeling the radiator hoses, the bottom one was cold and the top one was hot. And the radiator was cold. So apparently, coolant isn't flowing through the system. I just replaced the water pump. So I wonder if the new pump is defective.

Two steps forward, and one step back! How annoying. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
The power steering video is up! In the video, I go into more detail about the steering cooler upgrade.

Next, I want to pull the water pump and see what's going on with it. I heard some odd noises from that area when the engine was idling.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 · (Edited)
I took a closer look at the cooling system. The water pump seems to be fine. I noticed that if I put the heater on, it will blow hot air. And at the maximum setting, it'll cool the engine enough to prevent overheating at idle. But I don't dare drive it like that. I also double-checked the coolant level, to make sure it's filled properly.

After 10 minutes of idling, the lower radiator hose is still cold. The upper hose and expansion tank are both hot. The radiator is lukewarm. The radiator fan doesn't come on, presumably because the coolant in the lower radiator hose isn't warming up. So something is impeding flow through the cooling system.

Based on the symptoms described above, I'm assuming the thermostat isn't opening. According to BimmerWorld, that's an uncommon failure mode (they typically fail by staying open). But I always seem to get the oddball problems.

Edit: I ordered a new thermostat & housing assembly. It should arrive in about a week. In the meantime, I can do some work on the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
Long thread mate, so excuse not completely reading through again.

Is there an overheating issue? Sensors/gauges confirm?
I ask because we change a lot of cooling system parts. On a cold engine (yes a 95 f deg day is a cold engine) it can sometimes take 15 minutes of driving before the thermostat opens the first time.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I haven't driven the car much lately, because the exhaust is so obnoxious. But after working on the power steering system (last week), I let the car idle for awhile to circulate the power steering fluid. It started overheating after about 5-6 minutes of idling. You can read the symptoms above. I'm pretty sure the thermostat isn't opening.

Regarding the exhaust... I got some work done on that. When I deleted the muffler, I cut the exhaust pipes even with the rear axle (for weight savings). That was a big mistake. With the exhaust exiting directly under the trunk, and most of the sound deadening removed, the noise reverberated in the car like crazy. At certain RPMs, the floor would actually vibrate. So I had to re-attach some of the exhaust pipe that I cut off, then add some new pipe to fill the gap left by the muffler delete.

In the photo below, I'm re-attaching the chopped exhaust pipes.

And in the next photo, I'm test-fitting the new pipe. After the fitment is set, I'll weld it in place and weld on some hangers.

In hindsight, I should have done this to begin with. I thought I could get away with a really short exhaust, but I was wrong. Hopefully this will save someone else from making the same mistake.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
The exhaust work is done! Crawling around under the car was exhausting (pun intended). I had to remove and install the exhaust multiple times, because welding underneath the car is such a hassle.

I was able to reuse the stock muffler mounts, with new hangers. I had to modify the hangers to get the right angle. A propane torch and a vise were involved.

In the photo below, the new pipes are tack welded in place (with a cross brace).

And here's the finished product.

I haven't driven it yet, but I did run the engine with the car parked. The difference is noticeable. The cabin doesn't resonate anymore. All the noise is out behind the car, rather than under it. It's still a little loud, but it's a good kind of loud. Sounds racy! 😎

I'll get some video with sound clips uploaded tomorrow.

PS - The new thermostat & housing arrived also. So I'll probably swap that in tomorrow, as well. Then I can take the car for a test drive. Should be fun.

·
Registered
2001 330i (pre-facelift)
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
The video is up! If you just want to hear the sound clips, you can skip to the "sweet sweet music" section. It's worth it.

221 - 240 of 277 Posts