BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Eurowerkz Midwest
5,199 Posts
Gheybe, one of my photography instructors went to school there. As far as I know, they were very well know in the past for artists and photographers, but I am not sure if they have the street cred like they used too. My instructor learned there back in the 60's, so a lot of **** has changed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very good school, expensive but well worth it. Studied there with Christofer Springman a well known commercial portrait photographer. Also, NY school of Visual Arts is very good not cheap either. Took numerous courses there as well with Scavulo, Steven Meissel and other well known NY photographers. Which school are you going to?

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
Bold move. I can't say that I'm confident enough to spend money on schooling for my hobby. It's hard to make a career in the arts. Best of luck to you man. I thought you were already in school...

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
That's where Scott Chu came out of. I was gonna go for Cinema Production but ended up having some family issues come up a couple weeks before the semester started and chose to stay home for personal reasons.

My experience with people that have gone their and the staff was great though and the local community (SB) loves hiring Brooks Students.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
:eeps:
The dirty secret is that a degree from Brooks usually only gets you huge student loan debts. It's not likely to land you a job, and certainly not one that can make enough money to pay the bills you'll ring up.

Brooks has always struck me as a comfy place for the rich to send their kids to learn a vanity hobby and get them out of the house. People who can afford Brooks can afford not to work.
It's Ken Rockwell, and we know how he is, but I still had to share it

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,058 Posts
Back some 34 years ago when I was heading off to college to major in photography, Brooks was one of the three best schools in the country, the other two being the Navy school, and the Rochester Institute of Technology (where I had planned to go - went to Missouri to major in photojournalism instead).

You may be saying "Navy school?" The Navy school was very highly regarding and many pros had been through there. It was not uncommon at the time for aspiring photographers to join the Navy just to go the the photo school.

Today I know nothing of the reputation of these three schools anymore. I imagine they are still well regarded. I skipped on RIT (last minute too) because I lived in Rochester and knew and dealt with a LOT of the students in the various photography programs there. I got a very distinct feeling the school largely turned out clones. So much of the work looked the same. There were prominent exceptions of course, the one that comes first to mind is Pete Turner (my boss went to RIT with him and he worked occasionally as an assistant for another guy I worked with).

I know this is and old thread and Gheybe has probably already made his choice, but what the heck.

As for Ken Rockwell's opinion, photography is a profession that certainly does not require a degree. It can be extremely helpful for some, but for others, earning their way up the ladder as an assistant for prominent photographers works better for others. In the end it comes down to how motivated are you, and are you willing put put up with the business end BS?

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
I was planning on taking a trip across the country this summer, but it turns out I'm going to owe a sh!t ton in taxes thanks to a screw up by our accounting dept; it's looking like a no-go :(

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,058 Posts
Yesterday was my first day.

To say that someone didn't get a job is 100% on them.
Good luck and enjoy. Any particular focus (no pun intended)?

Totally agree on the job part.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts