BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently had to pull my manifold off to get to the starter.
The biggest [email protected] happened when the top bolt, on of the two that attach it to the tranny, was broken in half. It still did a fine job securing the starter... but did not allow for me to remove it...

Here are some pics:

You can clearly see the bolt being inside the hole in the first image but on the second one it appears as it has been completely extracted. Alas, it's simply missing the head upon which it unscrews.

I wasn't able to figure out a way to extract it so had to call in a tow truck and get it over to a shop.

My friend in that shop was terrified looking at this but he said that there's some other mechanic in this shop who's really good at this type of stuff so he'll ask him to figure it out.

Even though they promised to not do it without me, they finished taking it off before I got back with coffee for everyone. :facepalm:

Don't know how they actually did it but in under half hour they had it off. They sawed off a little slit above the positioning pin for some reason. The hole for the screw was surprisingly intact.

$150 with new bolts. For NYC it was a good price that I was very happy to pay to finally have this crazy problem resolved.

Sorry if someone may get upset that it's not something that I was able to explain how to DIY, but when looking for this problem I didn't find much about other people having the same problem and what has anyone done to get it fixed.

I hope this posts helps any poor soul that might run into this odd problem. :thumbsup:

P.S. I wasn't sure that it was the starter since there was no click at all when I tried to start the car. In the end it really was the starter. Surprisingly the motor worked fine, but selonoid was the one to opt out and thus - no click.

EDIT NOTE: I originally circled with yellow on my phone but didn't notice that I was circling the locating pin instead of the bolts. User bmwbob89 pointed that out and I re-upped the images with corrected tags (yellow for the locating pin and red for the bolts, left one being the culprit).

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,714 Posts
I think this is a useful post and the photos help a lot. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

It’s a good idea to pre-soak any old fasteners with penetrating spray before removal and even heat up their connecting part beforehand, especially high-torque fasteners and in harsh climates.

The tech may have grinded a slot in the bolt stub and use an air impact screw driver to back it out.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That's not a bolt its a locating pin. It can be a bitch of a thing to get the starter out as the pin corrodes into the trans. So it wasn't broken off that is the way it looks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's not a bolt its a locating pin. It can be a bitch of a thing to get the starter out as the pin corrodes into the trans. So it wasn't broken off that is the way it looks.

I'll re-up the pics. I circled the wrong thing (this is a few weeks old). Look to the left, you see the tip of the bolt sticking out from the front but on the rear picture there's no torx head to the left.

Hoped no one would notice until later today lol.
I'll re-up proper circling in a bit

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[Fixed]
Uploaded new pics.
Sorry for pointing to the wrong thing originally. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts