E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post. I found a piece of my rear spring on the garage floor. I will replace with OEM springs as I don't want to lower or get a stiffer ride. Should I replace the shocks now also? I've got 75K on my '02 325 convertable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a 2001 325 convertible and the same thing just happened to me. My mechanic found the piece of broken spring. Although it was a larger piece than expected, he said as long as it drove fine there was no need to replace it. If more pieces break off, then just replace the spring. But it could be good for years. So, I'm leaving it for now.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You should replace it due to the fact that now one if your springs are shorter than the rest which will give you crappy handeling and one side of your car will sag which just looks like garbage

If you do replace your shocks you will help to bring your car back to how it orignally handeled

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's what I was thinking, but the truth is the car is not sagging. If it is, it is so slight. And the car is handling perfectly. If not for the noise from the broken piece, I would never have known. But I will watch it carefully going forward.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had the same issue on my 323i 2000 model, i drove for about a yr before replacing with OEM springs that came off an M3, bought on craigslist off a guy selling parts, it will drive ok coz the weight of the car is enough to keep things down, but everytime u go over a bump, rail road or s'thing u will hear metal clunking in the back, not a good sound for bimmer.all depends on personal stuff though like your priorites and stuff, i was in school for my RN when this was happening and broke like hell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts