E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have the exact same problem with my drivers side mirror. Broke the exact same way. Right now I have black gaff tape holding it on, but I am buying new ones soon. My Daughter pulled that one off as I was coming up the driveway & into the garage. She was in my wifes car, as she parks in the driveway, and right as I was coming in, at that exact time, she whips her door open, taking my mirror right off. Its still held together by the power cord, but that same metal bracket inside busted clean off. I was furious but I got over it. The way I see it, now it gives me the excuse to buy the M3 mirrors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same issue. Broke off my passenger side mirror.
Ordered one from Joe @ Bavarian Auto Recycling. It should be sitting at home waiting for me tonight.
I'll post more after i see what it looks like and after its installed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had the same issue. Broke off my passenger side mirror.
Ordered one from Joe @ Bavarian Auto Recycling. It should be sitting at home waiting for me tonight.
I'll post more after i see what it looks like and after its installed.
Sweet. Yea definetly let us know how much of a pain in the ass or not the install is. Hopefully its not too bad. Good luck,

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.and like ogsk8r said, only the metal piece/bracket broke, other than that it looks clean and is still connected by the wire. That said I didn't think I'd have to replace the whole thing? Anyone know if its possible to replace just that one piece? My friend said he would glue it back with epox, but that doesn't sound so great lol. And give us a update when u can Lee

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Thanks for the responses.and like ogsk8r said, only the metal piece/bracket broke, other than that it looks clean and is still connected by the wire. That said I didn't think I'd have to replace the whole thing? Anyone know if its possible to replace just that one piece? My friend said he would glue it back with epox, but that doesn't sound so great lol. And give us a update when u can Lee
get this and u should be fine..can be sanded down, painted, etc... any hardware store should have it.. walmart stocks it regularly near the automotive section....but a replacement housing will last longer....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is broke exactly the same way. I looked at repairing it, but couldn't find a suitable solution, so i ordered one from Bavarian Auto Recycling.

My mirror has not arrived yet, so i called to find out where it is. They haven't shipped one yet, as i requested a black mirror so i didn't need to paint. if the mirror is not shipped this week, i will have them send one and paint.

I looked at the new mirror from ECS, but it does not include the cover (That also needs to be painted). If Bav Auto Recycling can not find me a black one, i will end up ordering from ESC...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
get this and u should be fine..can be sanded down, painted, etc... any hardware store should have it.. walmart stocks it regularly near the automotive section....but a replacement housing will last longer....

hmm, do you have experience with this? would this prevent the mirror from folding up?

also the thing with replacing the whole unit is it seems unnecessary as it is only one part (the metal piece) thats actually broken/snapped. may be a stupid analogy but it seems like replacing a pair of sneakers when the laces are ripped. of course i dont have any experience with this so i dont know if that makes any sense, but couldnt that metal piece be replaced?

·
Registered
11 Posts
also the thing with replacing the whole unit is it seems unnecessary as it is only one part (the metal piece) thats actually broken/snapped. may be a stupid analogy but it seems like replacing a pair of sneakers when the laces are ripped. of course i dont have any experience with this so i dont know if that makes any sense, but couldnt that metal piece be replaced?
I searched high and low to see if i could find just that part and only replace that. from everyone i have talked to, the only way to get it is to purchase a used mirror assembly.

If you find a way to repair the break, id love to see it. i just know if i used the JB Kwik someone would walk past and hit it and i would be back where i started.

The entire mirror assembly from Bavarian Auto Recyclers ran $150 and Joe threw in free shipping.

This is just how i chose to address it. Seamed like the best plan for me.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if i glue it, does that eliminate the possibility of fixing without replacing the whole unit?
yes.... use the jb weld... it hardens like steel... just mix equal parts. apply some on both parts of the break. fit them together and tape it up to hold it in the correct position. make sure you use compressed air to clean the cracked area on both pieces before applying the weld and you will be good... believe me....or you can buy the pair of mirrors I have for sale in my sig....but try the jb kwik weld first..and let it sit overnight to fully cure...this is just a temporary fix...ur gonna have to end up buying a new mirror in the future...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brooklyn, Did you Try the JB Weld?? How did it work out?
My mirror arrived, and was easy to install.
Took me less then 45 minutes, and could have easily been done in less then a half hour.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope haven't had the time to yet just been constantly taping it for now hoping another option came up. But I'm gonna go see if I can find the JB weld this weekend and try that. I'm not sure what you mean by cleaning the break with compressed air smuuuuv? And Lee did u get a pre-painted piece?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ordered a Used mirror. When i placed the order, i requested a Black Mirror for my color code. It took them a bit longer to locate one but it is a perfect match to my car.

They stated they could have shipped one out right away, but it would have been the first one they had on the shelf, and would likely have required painting.

Over all i am quite happy with it. no painting, and easy to install. I didn't have the option of taping it up, and allowing it to dangle when mine broke. i had to remove it, as i drive on the expressway every day, and couldn't have it hanging on the side of my car at 75 mph...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Nope haven't had the time to yet just been constantly taping it for now hoping another option came up. But I'm gonna go see if I can find the JB weld this weekend and try that. I'm not sure what you mean by cleaning the break with compressed air smuuuuv? And Lee did u get a pre-painted piece?
use the same compressed air that they use to blow the dust out of computers. walmart, target, best buy should have it. or anyplace that sells computers should have it. but the longer you keep taping it up the more the matching natural cut on both sides of the break is going to wear down and not fit back together correctly. You will probably be better off gettin a new mirror by now....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
had it glued which lasted about half a yr until it fell off again today. I think im going to get a OEM replacement like the one here, however can I use the colored part from my old mirror? or is that not possible? does this piece have to be painted?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts