BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2004 330i ZHP manual transmission. About 4-5 months ago, just after taking my car to the dealer for an oil change, my parking brake started acting up: about 1 in every 4 times I tried to put it on when parking, the little button you depress would stay in and when you pulled up the parking brake handle, it wouldn't make that ratcheting sound to let you know it was engaging. So the parking brake wouldn't go on. You could rattle the handle a bit and sometimes it would popout.

I took it into the dealer because it was only engaging 75% of the time. They "fixed" it for $75 labor by adjusting the assembly. Then it started working 100% of the time. Great.

Now 1 month later the whole little button at the top of the brake handle just popped out. So it's totally shot. See the attached photo.

They told me last time that if I had to repair it again they might have to replace the whole assembly but that that would be expensive since it involved a lot of labor.

Any ideas what's wrong? Did the dealership break my brake when they "fixed" it? How much might it cost to replace? Is this expensive?

I live in Seattle, a very hilly city, so I need a parking break on a manual transmission to park on a hill. I know about the transmission lock.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
I believe that you would only need to replace the lever (PN 34411164489) - which is under $100 new (and should be available from a breaker for cheap). Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that the cables would need to be removed to R&R this part. In which case, the replacement shouldn't be bad.

Luke

1 - 2 of 2 Posts