E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how to remove this broken oil filter housing cover? The last person to put it on, torqued it to tight (I won't point any fingers right now..)

I am thinking heat up a big flat head screw driver and melt it in, let it cool and turn it, but I hope there is a better idea..

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
big pliers or an oil filter wrench. easy.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
It looks like a socket will still work on the top, or an oil filter inverted can socket (fits over the cover and engages the notches at the bottom of the plastic by the metal), or, as bigugly mentioned, an oil filter wrench which has a band that fits around the oil filter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I tried everything, including huge channel locks, several different oil filter wrenches, but no avail. I ended up dremmeling the thing to pieces. Now I am worried about any debris that may have landed in the bottom. Which direction does oil flow? Outside to inside or vice versa?

Thanks again - it was reassuring and I needed it.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,646 Posts
So, I presume you know of realoem, OP.

I bet the o-ring was put on in the wrong place, which is maybe why it was overtorqued.

I'd have also suggested a huge plumbing wrench, but too late for that I guess! Glad you prevailed!

As for the flow, I really don't know. You obviously haven't started the car, so I'd doubt your debris will go anywhere. Try a wet/dry vac...or shop rags and tweezers.

GL...hth!

(Chris, you know if you're going to be in town for my show tomorrow? Two celebrities are now scheduled, one of whom I'm pretty sure is Kristen Schaal...so if not totally worth it just for me, there will be professionally funny people there too!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.