E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I lost my diamond key for my BMW E46 2004. I ordered a new key from BMW it opens the doors etc on fob also when in the ignition it turns to position 2 lights the dash up etc but won't start or crank the car, I presume BMW have coded it to a key slot that has already been used? Is there a way to code it to make it work? Also I found my old key for the car which still works starts the car etc but as I have paid money for the OEM key from BMW I'd like to have that working as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated many thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
New key from BMW should start the car with no additional coding. They come precoded/programmed to the car, you just have to sync the keyless access.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
As yjsaabman said should start the car as BMW have the original setup for your Key and EWS. by the way how much did they charge for the key, where in the UK are you based

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its been coded at BMW but will not start my car
As yjsaabman said should start the car as BMW have the original setup for your Key and EWS. by the way how much did they charge for the key, where in the UK are you based
Yes based in the UK. The only thing I can think of is the car had used the slot on the ews previously and BMW have used that slow hence why it won't start, I wanted to know if it could be coded to a new slot or is the key now useless apart from opening my doors.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its been coded at BMW but will not start my car

Yes based in the UK. The only thing I can think of is the car had used the slot on the ews previously and BMW have used that slow hence why it won't start, I wanted to know if it could be coded to a new slot or is the key now useless apart from opening my doors.
with the right software, the slots can be removed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just tried something. I used my working key started the car, turned car off and within 10 seconds I tried the key from BMW and my car started? Is that because the immobiliser doesn't have time to kick in?

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
Time shouldn't matter. There is a sensor ring around the ignition lock cylinder that senses the transponder code from the key and sends it to the EWS. Without that signal the car won't start.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Time shouldn't matter. There is a sensor ring around the ignition lock cylinder that senses the transponder code from the key and sends it to the EWS. Without that signal the car won't start.

I just tried it and it did start the car. If I do it within 10 seconds of starting it with my working key the car starts with the other key from BMW

·
Administrator
19,158 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BMW Scanner 1.4 has some nice EWS features for seeing which keys are in which slots, live data for keys, and what is blocking engine cranking, etc.
Great stuff really helpful. I know what will of happened BMW will of assigned my key to a slot of the ews but a previous owner has probably used that slot if that makes sense, hopefully it can be re coded to a new slot on the ews otherwise I've got a very expensive door opener ha ha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I swopped my battery for my E46 diamond key and accidently broke off the micro switch for the lock button the BMW middle button it's an aftermarket key btw, I had a new micro switch fitted for the lock button but it no longer works, I can't even program the key to lock any doors as to do that you need to put the key into position 1 take out then hold the open button and lock button 3 times, as my lock button is broken I can't use it. Would I be able to buy another diamond key off eBay take the board out put it into my key and program it to open the doors? Or does the circuit board on my key contain something that I need to start my car?

·
Administrator
19,158 Posts
I know what happened, BMW assigned my key to a slot of the ews, but a previous owner has probably used that slot if that makes sense, hopefully it can be re-coded to a new slot on the ews otherwise I've got a very expensive door opener ha ha
Nah, I don’t think you know that until you look.
BMW Scanner 1.4 can clear a slot if someone used an AK90 to assign an aftermarket key to it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Surely the new key is under warranty. Why don't you talk to the vendor (assuming BMW dealer) and have them replace it with a working key?
I have I rang them and said someone will get back to me, all they will say though is someone has used the dealer slot on the ews so there's nothing we can do. After all it's meant to be always done at BMW and not aftermarket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of my BMW keys will start the car, but won't lock or unlock the car as the micro switches are broke. Can I buy a key off eBay and take the chip out and put it into my key so it will open and close my doors?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts