BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just broke one bolt on the water pump! I broke it to the point where the rest of the bolt is stuck and the only way to get it out is drill through the screw. The thing is, I can't drill straight through the screw, but only at an angle just b/c the ****ing drill is too big. My question is, can I just use three bolts and drive? Will there be any long-term reprcussion driving on three bolts? Please, please any other suggestion other than drilling, that would be great. All comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
Drive gently with the 3 remaining bolts in place. Keep the revs down and get the broken bolt out ASAP.

How did it break? Did it snap during removal or installation? Was it overtorqued?

Ed

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, yeah.. it was just overtorqued during the installation and now it's just a ***** to remove b/c I can't drill it out completely, I'm just lost right now.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,661 Posts
If you are handy with a torch and pliers, you may be able to get the bolt out with heat. If not, It might be wise to pull out the waterpump so you can attack the bolt on a bench. DOn't forget to use a new gasket when reinstalling the pump.

Ed

·
Big in Japan
1,359 Posts
you may be able to use a dremel cutoff wheel to cut a notch in it and use a screwdrive to unscrew it; depending on how tight it is in there, and how much of it is exposed (not sure where it broke off)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOOHHOOOO!! Last night, I finally got that damn bolt off by using an angle drill, center punch and a screw extractor and after 2 grueling hours, I finally got it off!! I never gonna anything that stupid again. Thanks for all your guy's help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts