E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when tightening these bolts around the valve cover i broke one threaded bolt by accident...Guess i need to stop working out. A couple of questions i have is...

1) Every other bolt (i believe theres 10 of them) is tightened to spec, and it doesnt seem as if theres any leaks from the valve cover gasket. Is it bad to drive like this until i order a replacement? There isnt any movement or play surrounding that area at all...

2) Does anybody know the part number or where I can order this "threaded bolt" and I would need another bolt as well because part of the threaded bolt that attached to the cylinder head is broken off in it.... I dont even know what to call it lol..."Cylinder Head threaded bolt" maybe

3) Is it a ***** to replace or pretty straight up...

Please help with any input or part numbers on this guys...thanks alot..attached is some pics of what i broke...sorry bout the large pics

Broken One

What it SHOULD look like underneath

Ignore the texts..just found this pic to give u an idea of the bolts around the camshaft

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it took me two weeks to get the right part from the dealer. I'll post the part number when I go pick it up tomorrow.

The wrong part kept coming from the warehouse. Over and over and over.
Thanks bro..u know if its bad to drive with that one bolt missing from around the valve cover or what?

·
Registered
DDing an only somewhat-janky four-season miata
12,042 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh man... I had the same exact problem... But unlike you, I was like uh whatever its just one bolt... Hell no... My car was so bad just because of that one bolt that it was almost undrivable! Did you find it anyway? I got mine from pelican parts! If you still need it, I can check in my e-mails!

·
Registered
61 Posts
You say you tightened them to spec. Curious: what's spec? I doubt you'll have the right answer because spec wouldn't cause a breakage. And you're fine driving with a missing bolt.
I was thinking the same thing. It only requires like 7 ft/lbs of torque. If you were using a torque wrench while putting it back on then it in no way should have broke. :hmm:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fine to drive without it. I drove a e34 525 for a week with only 2 bolts holding the valve cover on (was troubleshooting some engine issues, finally got it going and I was so excited I didn't bother putting everything back immediately). Didn't actually leak anything out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.