BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i am a great driver lolllll but what is going on with my m3????? the most i have gone in big turns are 65 mph. my
car is set up for handerling have very mod. for handerling that
you can have. i am open to any ideas of how i can stop breaking the front cross brace. by the way it is the stock one.
and i am puting in my car the acs race strut bar hope i don't
snap that cross brace.
bobm3 :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
where is it breaking? pic?

I know the SCCA racing M3s use a triangulated front strut.

·
You ain't fresh AZIMIZ!!!!!
2,535 Posts
@ $1,300, You better hope you don't break it! :slap:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the feedback

well i don't know how it happen fastest i hit a big wide turn was off the highway at around 60-65mph because i was looking at the gauge. but anyway
it broke around 2 or 3 inches away from where it is screw into the body.i guess the stress was to much lollll... my friends say same thing about the acs race front strut bar. that it is make more stronger. well i will see in a week or so did not get it yet from mike from renn-sport.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my front strut brace is now in 2 pieces

acitydweller said:
are you saying you are getting a stress crack? breaking is a bit vague...
i can't explain it any clearer than that.it broke around 2 or 3 inches from where it is screw into the body.it broke in 2 pieces i guess the oem strut is not that strong. and by the way the dealership install it so i can't say that i install it the wrong way.
bobm3 :woot: :woot:

·
Slow in, slower out
4,753 Posts
The factory M3 strut tower brace sucks donkeys. I've heard of lots of broken ones. Get yourself a functional and LIGHTWEIGHT brace such as the UUC bar.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
maybe your strut bars have been torqued down too much? :dunno: i remember reading that your supposed to torque them to a specific weight.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Bob. I posted with the same problem about 6 or 7 months ago on my 330. The ACS front strut brace stripped through the support bolt which attached the trangular section to the strut tower piece. It was replaced under warranty and I upgraded to the racing version. I haven't done any track-days etc so took the view the bolt had a fault and eventually over time failed.

Your failure sounds very similar. Its unlikely to have been a second faulty bolt, it sounds as though your dealer is over-torquing. The ACS struts come with either a sticker or a document specifying the required bolt torque.

Stuart.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks alot guys for all the input.

miami323 said:
post a pic ..
i will take a picture the next few days to show you exactly how it looks. and i will go to a speed shop to put in the acs race brace with the right torq. numbers to torq. it down.
bob :woot: :woot:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts