BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my buddy just got finished installing his OEM springs in. I was using a torque wrench for the top bolts and had it set at 21 ft lbs. As i was tightening, one of the studs just ripped off. The wrench did not click! I felt like such a dumbass for breaking a god damn stud. My question to you guys is, I just need to replace to top hat right? I also read by drilling the stud out, and getting a bolt of the same size, poking it through and tightening it, it will work ( a lot of other car forums use that as another option to fix it). Is driving on 2 studs fine for now? He drives on the highway, nothing more. And can I just drill the stud out and replace it with a bolt? Thanks again fanatics. :hi:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not hard to replace the strut towers, plus, they wear over time anyway. Just replace it
At 92$ for each side, can't afford them right now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you can't afford it then do the bolt, but in the long term it's a bad idea. Save up and buy a mount when you can.

·
Registered
531 Posts
People say apply JB weld with a washer and I should be good?
JBWeld won't really hold torque, been there, tried that. You can take it to a muffler shop and have a nut tack welded on for like $5 though.
It'd be like...
Bolt - Nut tackwelded onto bottom of tower - tower - rough road plate (if you have one) - body - nut

1 - 10 of 10 Posts