E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...

So, in the latest chapter of my oil pan repair fiasco, I sheared the very last fastener I was torquing in place :facepalm:. Not sure how that's possible with a torque wrench set to a whopping 10 Nm, but it happened.

Anyway, for a variety of reasons, I can't wait till Tuesday to get parts (even if I can get the stub out of the engine) before I have to leave. My question is.... How bad do you think it would be if I drove it like this for a while, assuming the other 24 are torqued correctly?

All opinions welcomed, and thanks...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi everyone...

So, in the latest chapter of my oil pan repair fiasco, I sheared the very last fastener I was torquing in place :facepalm:. Not sure how that's possible with a torque wrench set to a whopping 10 Nm, but it happened.

Anyway, for a variety of reasons, I can't wait till Tuesday to get parts (even if I can get the stub out of the engine) before I have to leave. My question is.... How bad do you think it would be if I drove it like this for a while, assuming the other 24 are torqued correctly?

All opinions welcomed, and thanks...
I feel your pain. I did exactly the same thing - TWICE in separate occasions!!!

Replaced my oil pan gasket, and upon the last bolt, it sheared off!
I removed the oil pan again to drill out the broken bolt, and the second time around used NEW BMW Oil pan bolts on the very last slot, and it sheared off while torquing to 7 ft lbs!!!!!!!

I got so fed up i just covered in gasket sealer and left as-is. The broken bolt is at the very front of the engine (one of the middle 4 bolts) and doesn't appear to be leaking, albeit i've only driven it an hour or so..

It just depends whether the gasket is sealing (new or old) and which bolt broke off. You might be OK to leave as is...never know. Its always a risk, but likely it should be OK if just a single bolt.

BTW, i believe the torque spec is 7 ft-lbs, and not 10N-M as you said above, are you sure you didn't over torque it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have found the best way to torque those small bolts on any part of the engine is to tighten them using a 1/4 ratchet just until it snugs to a stop,then a 1/4 turn.

Never had a bolt snap or a leak ....yet.

·
Registered
16,077 Posts
BTW, i believe the torque spec is 7 ft-lbs, and not 10N-M as you said above, are you sure you didn't over torque it?
10 Newton meters is about 7.3 pound feet. :facepalm:

OP, what was the range on the torque wrench you used?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts