E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im about to hop on a 330ci zhp and I am going BBK. I need to get a general idea of what my best bet is for BBK. I am thinking StopTech but some swear by Brembo. Now on the other hand I heard that you cant tell the difference in braking when under 70mph speeds. I drove a g35 coupe and it doesnt seem to brake or feel as good as my old wrecked 323ci's brakes (lol damn ricers). Im never going to track the car (cuz Im not an experienced driver and I dont want to kill myself) But if that is case why should I buy BBK when I dont push cars often at all. Freeways are stupid to speed excesivly on when I can hurt myself or someone else. I will open it up on this one back road (nice little 3 lanes smooth asphalt) Might as well save my 4k. So let me know what you all think and give me some of your opinions. Please bear the light and tell me the truths about BBK's are they worth it for the guy that only pushes his car on lonley back roads once or twice a week.

·
Mod Squad
10,010 Posts
Realize that with a BBK you're not going to decrease your braking distances (appreciably), what a BBK provides is repeatability with a greater resistance to fade. I suppose in that sense you could look at it as shortening your average braking distance if you did 3 stops from 100 MPH to 0 you average distance for stopping would be less than if you did those same 3 stops with the stock brakes because the BBK will be more consistent.

I personally am starting to kick around the idea of getting a BBK mainly because I think the stock calipers are ugly, so it's more of a bling thing for me.

·
Registered
625 Posts
there are a couple things to consider...first of all, you will always benefit from bigger/better brakes. certainly if you track your car you will see a difference in lap times, but in real world scenarios, a bbk could help you to avoid an accident. most people would rather be careful drivers (which it sounds like you are) than drop 4k to avoid rear ending somebody, but if you are itching to get a bbk, that could be your excuse. also, do you ever plan on showing your car? i assume (though i shouldn't) from your low post count that you haven't got too many mods yet, but if you ever plan on showing the car, a bbk is a very pimp thing to have. you might want to keep in mind that stock wheels (and many aftermarket wheels) will not clear the bbk...this means adding another few g's to the equation.

i couldn't tell you whether brembo or stoptech is better...i'd probably go with brembo just because they are the more well known name in the industry, but that's just me. a bbk is a mod that i'd love to have just because it is something that goes unnoticed by most, but that real car people can appreciate.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I would love to get into mods but first I have to get some ideas in my head. I would want to be unique. Im going to eventually throw some HRE's into the equation. though I love type 135s i dont know if they will fit BBK. I would love to get an e46 M3 and have a custom facelift headlights with a vorstiener hood but that would be too expensive and those parts dont fit eachother so they would have to be custom. Anyway yeah Im relatively new but youll see me more once I get up and rolling again. Damn 323ci was wrecked and I sure as hell cant show off with my chevy malibu. Hey do you guys know if StopTech BBK will fit with type 135 cuz I was thinking maybe with some spacers it might work

·
Mod Squad
10,010 Posts
^Somewhere on the StopTech webpage they have a template that you can cut out in order to "test" fit and check the clearances.

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
ok, from the sound of it, you are just looking to get better braking... To do so, you don't necesarily need a bbk. If I were you, I would consider just sticking with the oem calipers/rotors (which are VERY good) and simply getting some Axxis ultimate brake pads. It will only cost you about 200 bucks for all four installed and will stop your car even faster than the oem pads!

Now... if you are going for looks, you can either pony up the 4k for a bbk (which i think is stupid unless you show your car) or you can simply buy a stage II brake kit from stoptech and you will get the "coolness" of slotted or drilled rotors and better braking power (due to new pads, rotors, lines, and fluids). If you are still not satisfied with the looks, you could paint the calipers (what i did)... you get the bbk look (without the big calipers), great braking power, and spend only 1/10 that you would for bbks

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know I will end up doing that but I just thought about how cool it would be to have a facelifted M. You guys think I could pull off a facelifted M with about 7k in mods? I will do that in a heart beat just to be the first. A facelifted M Coupe and custom exhaust like othersides'. I think that would be bombass

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
^^ :wtf:

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
so you want to take your non-facelifted non-m and put on a M front bumper and then also put on facelifted fenders? Why would you spend so much money on something like that? How about you just buy a body kit for your car, wheels, and a suspension (which will cost the same as doing all that nonsensicle front work)

·
Banned
6,535 Posts
RichardG said:
Hey Im about to hop on a 330ci zhp and I am going BBK. I need to get a general idea of what my best bet is for BBK. I am thinking StopTech but some swear by Brembo. Now on the other hand I heard that you cant tell the difference in braking when under 70mph speeds. I drove a g35 coupe and it doesnt seem to brake or feel as good as my old wrecked 323ci's brakes (lol damn ricers). Im never going to track the car (cuz Im not an experienced driver and I dont want to kill myself) But if that is case why should I buy BBK when I dont push cars often at all. Freeways are stupid to speed excesivly on when I can hurt myself or someone else. I will open it up on this one back road (nice little 3 lanes smooth asphalt) Might as well save my 4k. So let me know what you all think and give me some of your opinions. Please bear the light and tell me the truths about BBK's are they worth it for the guy that only pushes his car on lonley back roads once or twice a week.
Don't waste your money on a BBK. You already said you're not going to track your car, and that's basically the only time you're gonig to notice a difference. You're not going to be stopping any faster from 80-0mph with a BBK over stock. A lot of it has to do with your tires too. You'll have no problem locking your brakes, the 330 has amazing stopping power. If you're starting to experience fading, then you should consider it. However, I've done autox without a problem on my stock setup and have experienced close to no fade.

For your needs, I wouldn't do anything more than the StopTech Stage II brake upgrade.

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
penguin... we agree!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2000_328CI said:
so you want to take your non-facelifted non-m and put on a M front bumper and then also put on facelifted fenders? Why would you spend so much money on something like that? How about you just buy a body kit for your car, wheels, and a suspension (which will cost the same as doing all that nonsensicle front work)
No I want to take an M (this is assuming i dont buy a zhp) and do a facelift to an M. I think that would be cool and unique. To have the grills with the facelift look on a real M3. It would be more expensive but quite cool and nice and a vorsteiner hood will really get things looking sweet

·
Registered
27,532 Posts
i think it would be flat out absurd.. spend the money elsewhere... like buying the car :dunno:

·
Banned
37 Posts
If its not a track car then I would also suggest not getting slotted rotors because they eat up your pads faster. I'd stick with with cross-drilled for heat dissipation and some nice pads as stated earlier in the post.

·
ModBargains CEO
5,505 Posts
Chase, I just wanted to pop in and say that your stoptech stage 2 kit you ordered from us is looking EXCELLENT. Thanks for the pics you sent in, I should have them up on the website this week bro :thumbup:

Also, your sig looks really good too

1 - 20 of 41 Posts