E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all from the UK.

I need some help with my E46 M3 and the knowledge pool in the UK is not great for this so have to ask you guys.

I’d like to buy a BBK (f and r) and in honesty it’s primarily for looks but I don’t want to end up heavier than stock. It needs to function but the reality is a 356 kit would be plenty for me but I can’t hack the way it doesn’t fill the wheels. My last car had 410mm discs under a 20” wheel and it looked right.

I’m looking at a yellow 6 pot Brembo GT kit on 380mm discs but these are special order only and Brembo won’t accept returns if it doesn’t fit.

the car is stock with no spacers and oem CSL wheels (8.5 at the front).

Can anyone confirm that these will fit without issue (front and rear). I think the rear kit is 4 pot but also 380 - happy for that to be smaller.

any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hello all from the UK.

I need some help with my E46 M3 and the knowledge pool in the UK is not great for this so have to ask you guys.

I’d like to buy a BBK (f and r) and in honesty it’s primarily for looks but I don’t want to end up heavier than stock. It needs to function but the reality is a 356 kit would be plenty for me but I can’t hack the way it doesn’t fill the wheels. My last car had 410mm discs under a 20” wheel and it looked right.

I’m looking at a yellow 6 pot Brembo GT kit on 380mm discs but these are special order only and Brembo won’t accept returns if it doesn’t fit.

the car is stock with no spacers and oem CSL wheels (8.5 at the front).

Can anyone confirm that these will fit without issue (front and rear). I think the rear kit is 4 pot but also 380 - happy for that to be smaller.

any help greatly appreciated.
I can't really say much for the m3 but with my 330ci I was looking into budget bbk and I tell you that under 18s the 356 would fit but you will probably need a spacer either way because those calipers are beefy. 380 will most likey need 19s but I think its possible to shove them under 18s that have a very wide barrel but I wouldn't count on it. point is spacers will be a must unless you get a low offset and wheels that clear brakes well. Think of the apec ec-7 those could possibly fit the 380mm but it could rub on the caliper for 18s. if you want to im sure you can grind off a bit of the caliper material it wont really affect the calipers performance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scrap what I said above - am going to go for Alcon as unlike AP the calipers are monobloc and the rear set up uses a separate hat and semi floating disc giving me a bigger weight saving at the back. Also the rotors are larger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Scrap what I said above - am going to go for Alcon as unlike AP the calipers are monobloc and the rear set up uses a separate hat and semi floating disc giving me a bigger weight saving at the back. Also the rotors are larger.
From what I have heard it doesn't matter if it's mono lock or not. I heard that ap were the only ones to create actual calipers that resist the forces being applied to them and they were beefed up in the right places. From what I understand it's better to have monoblock but only if there aren't any better designs. And ap I think is leading In terms or performance I believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect that might be marketing hype but could be wrong. Among the big three I don’t think there are any stand out obvious leaders but I do know that if you look at the very highest level kits and Motorsport applications from all three, they are always billet monoblock.

admittedly these alcons I’m going for aren’t billet - they are gravity cast - whatever that means.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I suspect that might be marketing hype but could be wrong. Among the big three I don’t think there are any stand out obvious leaders but I do know that if you look at the very highest level kits and Motorsport applications from all three, they are always billet monoblock.

admittedly these alcons I’m going for aren’t billet - they are gravity cast - whatever that means.
Yea you need strong And light calipers if u want the best strength but that's for a super heavy track car so for daily driving or even a normal track car will be fine with a good basic bbk. Only the crazy ppl go for motorsports stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts