BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, it would have been an awesome day, met up with some friends and drove down to rt. 1 for a vw meet, came back up to morristown and drove around some back roads when all of a sudden the car starts vibrating slightly as i come to a stop at a light, i thought maybe i caught a flat or something but then when i came to a full stop the car started shaking violently and the service engine soon light comes on, i pull over and turn the car off and try to start it again, the car struggles but starts and starts to shake violently again so i just shut it off and called roadside assistance.
the car is an 04' 330ci and i have been really careful with the break-in, i held out until i hit 1300 miles before i even took it over 3500 rpms or 100mph, sorry just venting because its my first new car and i wanted it to be perfect,
what do you guys think is wrong with it, the car is at my house because the dealership doesnt open till monday, so the wait to find out whats wrong with my car is killing me..
sorry for making you read my essay, and thank you
jon

·
P.I.M.P.
2,477 Posts
Well from what you described it could be a gigantic list of things. Anything from some software that needs to be updated, to a major defect. However, most likely it is something very small(ie broken/malfunctioning sensor). The good news is your warranty will DEFINATELY cover whatever is wrong, and everything will be like new. Don't worry man.

·
Registered
13 Posts
did your EML come on?? if so, its possible that you may need to have this wire replaced to allow gas to flow smoothly. its happened to me once and those were my results, warranty covered it. car is fine now.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the quick input guys, ill let you know as soon as i find out from the dealer, hey fly by you after your problem was fixed, it never happened again right?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Jon congrats about your car, sorry about the problem. If your taking it to morristown, there is a new service advisor that knows what he is doing so you'll be in good hands. When you car is fixed we should meet up sometime!

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
This kind of stuff always happens to me and my friends. I got new wheels and put in the stud converters wrong and my car wouldn't move.
My friend bought his saleen and the battery was dead when he got it home.
My other friend bought his 323is and the battery was dead and the brake sensor went on within a week.

It happens, dont' let it ruin the experience, you still have an awesome car that will be fixed for free. Use the time in the garage to admire her beautiful curves and read the manual or something.

I'm sorry man, I know it sucks.

Edit: When I got my brand new car (my first car) we had to take the guy who delivered it to the airport, and he slammed the door... and me and my dad drive it home and i'm like in love with it (my first hour in my brand new perfect car, everything i ever wanted) and when i get out i realize he knocked off the mirror cover...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had something similar happen to me. The car started to idle really rough (I thought it would die everytime I came to a stop). Then the check engine light came on, and it seemed to get worse. I took it in and it turned out some hose had come lose. They replaced the hose under warrenty and I've haven't had any problems since.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys thanks a lot for the support, i was real upset yesterday but after sleeping on it im a lot better, i mean bmw will definately back up their warranty so i have no worry but its just a hassle, faztaz where in jersey are you from we should definately meet up!!
jlevi: as bad as it sounds, its always better when you feel like you havent experienced a problem on your own, thanks for sharing
stahlgrau: i am praying for similar results

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the problem has been fixed, they said it was a defective ignition coil, the car was in and out in a little over an hour, service was great, although the car was damaged by the tow truck, but im filing a claim with bmw roadside, hopefully they'll cover it, i figured if they were going to send me a truck that they would know how to tow a bmw....

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hak glad to hear everything is ok. Im in Short Hills. I actually met up with another 04 last night in Madison.

·
Der Meisterstück
2,495 Posts
hakjai :

Are you Cantonese? Cause your ScreenName litterally means "blacksheep" or "bad luck boy" in Cantonese.

nice to hear that your car is back to normal. Weird that an ignition coil would go bad so soon. I wonder how common it that?

Good Luck and Enjoy your Ride

·
Like school on a Sunday...
794 Posts
I'm down for a local meet - let's get something going :thumbup:

·
Like school on a Sunday...
794 Posts
:bump: C'mon local peeps...:D

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,671 Posts
Your EML should have came on. Its probably a leak within the vaccum system. Nothing major. Happend to be before, and it resetted it self. I didnt even have to take it to the dealer. But dont worry. Warranty should cover it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
wel, if you guys wanna get something going, name some places and dates so we can working something out...
like this sat or sunday after thanksgiving at some place on rt. 10...

·
Mooove, get out the way!
1,115 Posts
Same type of thing happened to me about a month after I bought the car. Car suddenly started idle-ing very very rough while I was stopped at a light and hardly had any power, it was struggling to stay running. It lasted around 5 minutes. Then it completely went away. It happened again a few months later, same type of thing. I thought maybe I had bad gas. Hasn't happened again since. Check out this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62281

·
Registered
442 Posts
Lets meet up at Rt10 or the Industrial/Business Area b/w RT 10 and Columbia Turnpike, a little past Newark Academy this weekend around lunch. Im game!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts