E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pwner
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does braking involve a lot of electricity consumption? The other day there was some crazy traffic so I was on the brakes most of the time, and after a while my battery went low and my stereo shut off. I mean, I know the alternator isn't doing much when you're braking but does it actually SAP energy?

·
Registered
125 Posts
mase said:
Does braking involve a lot of electricity consumption? The other day there was some crazy traffic so I was on the brakes most of the time, and after a while my battery went low and my stereo shut off. I mean, I know the alternator isn't doing much when you're braking but does it actually SAP energy?
Huh???
breaking should not use any electricity unless you have something weird wired to your tail lights or have a short or a similar.
On the other hand when you are at low RPM's and have a heavy duty stereo blasting away, your alternator may not give you enough power to handle it.
I would first check if your alternator puts out power as specs require, if its fine, then look for shorts.

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,616 Posts
brakes don't use power? then how does power brakes work?

I don't think braking necessarily drains the battery though

·
Registered
220 Posts
10chi said:
brakes don't use power? then how does power brakes work?

I don't think braking necessarily drains the battery though
Power brakes use a booster driven off of the engine vacuum. It's not electrical. If you have a diesel, there is no engine vacuum so they usually have a belt driven or electrical pump to provide vacuum assist... but that's a diesel. :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
If the engine is running and your alternator is working properly then nothing should drain the battery. You need a new alternator most likely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts