E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys, last weekened i had a mechanic install the brakes on my 323i; however i have noticed two scenarios that i need your help with. the brakes were bought from turner motorsport ( complete kit). i have noticed that whenever i used the brakes heavily, smokes comes from both of my front brakes. this smoke is light and i do smell the pad compound a little. i told my mechanic and he says it's normal, what u you think. the performance of the brakes are flawless. there is no squealing, and i look at the rotors the surfaces are smooth as butter. these pads are the axxis ones, super cool since no brake dust as well.

as u can see almost everything else is fine with my brakes except the light smoke when i use them excessively. 'ave check the reservoir and it's at the right level, so i don't know what is the problem. also my brake pad sensor light is still on in my dash after driving 130 miles on this new brake system. i tried the key in position 2 thing, but that does'nt work for me either. is there something that i am missing, in my e36 the light disappear after the first mile of brake installation.
thanks in advance, your intuitions are sincerely appreciated. :thumbup:

mark

·
Banned
7,997 Posts
If the light sensor trips in the first place, then it needs to be replaced...

However if you change the brakes before the light goes off then you can reuse the old ones.

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i bought the entire brake package guys, ie pads rotors, sensors from turner motorsports. what's your opinions on my smoking. :rolleyes:

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bmwerken i thought so but maybe i should have done more bedding. have u guys ever experience this with axxis pads and oem rotors.

·
Registered
931 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
Did you propery bed the pads and rotors in?
you need to bed the brakes for the first 300-500 miles depending on the application... not the first 500 feet.

using them excessively sounds like your slamming them prematurely.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
mine smoked a lil bit with EBC green stuff bads and Zimmerman rotors it was a combo of the burnign off of the zinc coating on the zimmerman rotors and the rubber type compound on the EBC pads labled brake in pad only time i smoke now is if i hit a puddle

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
acitydweller said:
you need to bed the brakes for the first 300-500 miles depending on the application... not the first 500 feet.

using them excessively sounds like your slamming them prematurely.
well i did'nt know that the bedding procedure duration was that long. so i guess mine is not fully bedded yet. ave only put on 150 miles since,anyway i was'nt actually slamming them but i guess i need to be more cautious, thanks .

so what should i do about the brake pad light that's still on. do i need to get it reset, as i said 'ave tried the procedures listed here, but the light is still there. :dunno:

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
vaio76109 said:
why don't u guys read, i told u that i bought the entire brake package from turner motorsport. i'm not stupid, i am on my second bimmer, i had an e36 prior to this car, so i do know that once the light is tripped u must replace the sensors. i replaced both sensors, as well as rotors and pads ie complete brake package.
i searched here before i start this thread and i discovered that inorder to remove the light one must hold the key in position two for 45 seconds and then remove key and start car.the threads claimed this work; however, it hasn't for me. on my e36 the light went out after about 2 miles of driving .

please read before u guys comment on my thread.
peace

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
thats how i reset my brake light twice, so it works for 2000 323ci.

1. he forgot to put a new sensor in the front or back. Either one will keep the light on
2. Sensor is defective.
3. He messed up one of the sensors trying to put it in

Check the sensor connection on the front and back make sure they are hooked up to the car correctly. May be he put the sensor in the pad but forgot to hook it up to the car

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gokcer said:
thats how i reset my brake light twice, so it works for 2000 323ci.

1. he forgot to put a new sensor in the front or back. Either one will keep the light on
2. Sensor is defective.
3. He messed up one of the sensors trying to put it in

Check the sensor connection on the front and back make sure they are hooked up to the car correctly. May be he put the sensor in the pad but forgot to hook it up to the car
thanks gocker, i know the both sensors were changed since i handed them to him and took the old ones. either one is not properly connected as u say or one of them is defective. i'll look under there tomorrow to make sure they're attached. do u think the sensors could have been shipped defective from turner motorsport. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
You should be able to hook a Multimeter or a continuity tester on the two wires of the sensor and test it. If you hear a beep then current passes through the sensor and it is good. No beep no good.

I guess you buy a cheap multimeter from radioshack & return it.
I think I paid $10 for mine.

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
vaio76109 said:
:flipoff:
i wouldn't expect such a juvenile behaviour from u, since i don't consider u a noob. anyway, i wasn't trying to offend u, i'm frustrated when people speak without reading and suggesting things that were already done. grow up bro. :rolleyes:

·
Likes Supermodels
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
gokcer said:
You should be able to hook a Multimeter or a continuity tester on the two wires of the sensor and test it. If you hear a beep then current passes through the sensor and it is good. No beep no good.
thanks again gocker, i'll definitely do that tomorrow. your suggestions are wise and hugely apprecaited. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
No problemo,

I am sure it is something stupid

·
Banned
7,997 Posts
bimmerrocks said:
i wouldn't expect such a juvenile behaviour from u, since i don't consider u a noob. anyway, i wasn't trying to offend u, i'm frustrated when people speak without reading and suggesting things that were already done. grow up bro. :rolleyes:
I wouldnt expect such a rude reply to someone who was trying to help you...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts