BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so i know a bit more before I bring my car in for someone to look at it I am having some real small brake issues. Occasionally if when I brake there is a bit of a klunk coming from the brake pad (sorry for the poor description) that I feel really strong on the pedal (to the point where I want to let up on the brake). I thought it was only occuring when I was doing it on ice but have since noticed it on dryer roads.

My question is, can from the desc. above tell me if it is a complete overhaul of 4 brakes and rotors (I know you do both at the same time etc.) or could it just be the front (where I think it is coming from)?

Also I have a 330i with a couple of packages on it so any estimates on price would be awesome just so I know what to expect and do not get ripped off as I am not worried too much on the price just do not want to over pay.

Because what I am thinking is going to find out what it is then buy quality parts online (shop around) then pay labor.

Thanks folks,

Michael

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Because what I am thinking is going to find out what it is then buy quality parts online (shop around) then pay labor.
Don't pay someone to do the brakes on your car. They are the easiest pad and rotor change that I've EVER done.

I'm not sure what would cause the clunk, though. Sorry

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I have the same problem. I feel like mine is coming from the front too. I replaced my back brakes with ceramic and changed the rotors recently and when I had my fronts checked out they said they were fine. But I get this weird noise too. Hmmm....

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Some aftermarket pads will cause this they are not quite big enough and will clack, sometimes if they are slightly to small penning the edge of the pad will take care of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting, I should look into it, I bought it used so I am not sure what pads are on it, good stuff guys keep it coming.......

·
Registered
154 Posts
I know I have oem on my fronts where I hear the sound. It could be possible that we have different sounds from ours, but I just thought I would mention that. I have a vibration, stuttering type of noise sometimes when I hit the brakes.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I know I have oem on my fronts where I hear the sound. It could be possible that we have different sounds from ours, but I just thought I would mention that. I have a vibration, stuttering type of noise sometimes when I hit the brakes.
Could be your Lower Control Arm bushings/ball joints. How many miles on them?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Could be your Lower Control Arm bushings/ball joints. How many miles on them?
If you mean how many miles on the pads I'm not sure, b/c they were on the car when I bought it a year ago. The previous owner did a service inspection II before I bought the car. I know the control arms were replaced, but I don't know about the bushings/ball joints.

PS. My brakes don't always react that way every time I use them, just sometimes when I hit them a little hard, it seems to stutter/vibrate in the pedal.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If you mean how many miles on the pads I'm not sure, b/c they were on the car when I bought it a year ago. The previous owner did a service inspection II before I bought the car. I know the control arms were replaced, but I don't know about the bushings/ball joints.

PS. My brakes don't always react that way every time I use them, just sometimes when I hit them a little hard, it seems to stutter/vibrate in the pedal.
Are you sure it's not ABS? When that activates, it causes a pulsing pedal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well maybe thats what I've been experiencing then. Thats relieving because I was really dissapointed that I might have a problem with my brakes. Thanks for the info guys!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brakes question..........

Are you sure it's not ABS? When that activates, it causes a pulsing pedal.
This sounds similar to me as well, so when this happens I should keep the brakes depressed or could it be coming on too early?

Great advice...

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you "stab" the brake and experience this problem, it could be...

1. The ABS is activating. Typically, you will hear the ABS pump pulsing and you will feel a pulsing in the brake pedal. ABS should only activate if it senses one of the front wheels stop turning or getting close.

2. Bad control arm bushings that are giving way under the high stress of aggressive braking. The sensation is a "bump" in the steering wheel and the car slightly swerving when hard brake is applied. The E46 is known to have this problem at as little as 40K miles.

I don't think pre-mature ABS activation is a common problem.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1. The ABS is activating. Typically, you will hear the ABS pump pulsing and you will feel a pulsing in the brake pedal. ABS should only activate if it senses one of the front wheels stop turning or getting close.
This sounds more like what is going on with my car. I definately don't feel anything in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Don't assume its the brakes! This is more typical of a bad ball joint / control arm, regardless of mileage on the car. I had a bad ball joint on the X5 with only 3K miles on it.

Brakes don't 'clunk'. Look at your suspension components and steering mechanism instead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts