BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've been reading and lurking on these boards for a few months now. With a few exceptions, everyone seems knowledgeable and mature individuals :D

Anyway, it seems the brake pedal on my 01 325i has gotten soft and "mushy"; it's like where the top 1/4 length of travel is very easily depressed and contains very little stopping power. The car is of low miles (~19000) so i suspect it's not the pads, rotors and whatever (brake lines?) wearing out so fast.

I've taken it to the stealership but all they said it "seems normal", which I am sure it is NOT.

now dont get me wrong, the brakes do a good job of stopping the car, once it's passed the 1/4 mark or so. however, the malleable pedal doesn't exactly equal confidence on my part.

any insight? I just might do steel-braided lines w/ brembo x-drilled rotors and hawk pads if not :D

thanks guys.

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
5,186 Posts
sometimes the brake pedal/ebrake can get "mushy". usually when you take your car in for an oil change they "tighten" it all so then your brakes feel a lot more responsive. ie, you dont have to press as far down. It can be normal to an extent. When was your last oil change/checkup? i noticed they dont always do it, maybe only at major intervals. good luck with it.

-mark

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
This is normal as your wear the pads down. It's simply that there is less thickness on the pad, so you have to press down a little further to put the pads full against the rotors. However, you might want to try bleeding the brake fluid and seeing if that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts