BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

My brakes are beginning to squeek and it seems like I need to change my rotors,sensors and pads....as well a brake flush

Any recommendation on the brakes?
Nothing that will leave my wallet dry...

Much help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Stoptech Stage 2 Kit for sure! Especially if your replacing pads & rotors

Check it out at modbargains

I think its $600 for Axis Ultimate Pade, Stoptech Rotors (you can get slotted or x-drilled), Stainless Steel Brake Lines, and new Brake Fluid.

It's my pending mod!

GL!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link...Saving me a bundle there...went to the service dept...and they wanted about 440ish for the set....no thanks!
For the Brake Fluid...whats the difference between Blue and Amber? which is better?
I have a 323Ci...but it says that I need to get 325/328 rotors etc...why is that? there is already a set for the 323/Ci...

Thanks for the suggestion.....is there any benefits with X-drill? whats the difference with that and Slotted in performance wise?

Stoptech Stage 2 Kit for sure! Especially if your replacing pads & rotors

Check it out at modbargains

I think its $600 for Axis Ultimate Pade, Stoptech Rotors (you can get slotted or x-drilled), Stainless Steel Brake Lines, and new Brake Fluid.

It's my pending mod!

GL!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
For the Brake Fluid...whats the difference between Blue and Amber? which is better?
They're the same. The different color eases the flushing of your system. If you have original fluid in the car then switch to blue. Next time switch to amber. Alternate every fluid change and, wahlah!

Thanks for the suggestion.....is there any benefits with X-drill? whats the difference with that and Slotted in performance wise?
Cross drilled looks good, but slotted performs better. More pad bite and it allows gases to escape during hard braking.

For what it's worth, I have the Turner kit with slotted rotors and Ultimate pads. It's nice! Better braking than stock, with less dust.

·
Registered
16,099 Posts
I remember seeing a thread from a guy last week that bought the Stoptech Stage II from MB and had a ton of problems with it. Something about getting a rotor that didn't fit properly and now he's having to try and find a way to get it replaced. MB said the manufacturer had to replace it and the manufacturer said it wasn't their fault.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago with OEM from Tischer BMW... They have a sale with free shipping on brake kits!

·
Registered
e92 M3
3,746 Posts
this has been mentioned so many times before. the oem rotors/pads are very good for street. they are much better than what some of the other cars are manufactured with.
The rotors from turner are OEM, but the pads aren't. I have the metal masters which have slightly less bite initially than OEM but bites hard after that (equal if not better than OEM, with barely any dust)
I would definitely recommend getting the ultimates if you want to have a little bit more bite than OEM with less dust.

As far as the 325 rotor question, I'm not sure. Might want to just email the guys at turner.

If you don't mind the OEM brake dust and the pricing on tischer is similar, definitely buy them. I would've if it wasn't for the dust.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this has been mentioned so many times before. the oem rotors/pads are very good for street. they are much better than what some of the other cars are manufactured with.
The rotors from turner are OEM, but the pads aren't. I have the metal masters which have slightly less bite initially than OEM but bites hard after that (equal if not better than OEM, with barely any dust)
I would definitely recommend getting the ultimates if you want to have a little bit more bite than OEM with less dust.

As far as the 325 rotor question, I'm not sure. Might want to just email the guys at turner.

If you don't mind the OEM brake dust and the pricing on tischer is similar, definitely buy them. I would've if it wasn't for the dust.
Thanks for advise TotumDependeate....
I do intend to get OEM...but I have been reading up alot on pads, where the main issue is the dust and not enough of an "bite" so to call....
1st with the pricing
Turner has the complete set for about $310(s/h included) whereas Tischer has the same package for $410 shippped....
If they are both OEM...Turner would be a better deal...

however I read that Axxis pads are not the greatest as durability is an issue...
From what Ive been researching is that Akebono Euros is the best out there for now...minimal brake dust and great grip...but that is only based on what I read...If anything ill get upgrade it to ultimate like TotumDependeate said for better bite....
Still a little on the fence here...

Btw...TotumDependeate
Your sig. is priceless...lolz

·
Registered
183 Posts
however I read that Axxis pads are not the greatest as durability is an issue...
From what Ive been researching is that Akebono Euros is the best out there for now...minimal brake dust and great grip...but that is only based on what I read...If anything ill get upgrade it to ultimate like TotumDependeate said for better bite....
Still a little on the fence here...

Btw...TotumDependeate
Your sig. is priceless...lolz

I'm ordering mine from turner but i'm curious about the Akebono Euros. Anyone know about these? Where did u find them at?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I beg to differ. I have the Ultimates on my car and they've lasted 50k miles so far! That's with slotted rotors, too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
i have the turner kit on my car and they are OEM not OE. just keep that in mind. Also, you need to paint the crown of the rotor cause mine is rusting like crazy and gets all over the barrel of the rim as well as the pad surface of the rotor when washing the car. granted, it goes away as soon as i hit the brake but its quite annoying. just something to keep in mind before installing.. id paint it... next time i definitely will before the install.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the powerslot slotted rotors on my car and Hawk HPS pads. Love the rotors, but the pads were a little thick when I first installed them resulting in some weird noises that went away after a hard day at the track.

The noise, a clicking under moderate braking, made me question my install techniques. Probably the 10th time I have changes BMW brakes.

The hawks have to heat up a bit before they have the same initial bite as the oem, but dust much much less.:)

I bought the whole package from tire rack 703.31 .

Regardless of which way you go, get ready for some sticker shock with the shipping cost.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
not from tms for me.. im 2 states away and was $17 to get it to me the next day..

bavauto is located right near tms and wanted like 60$ to ship...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have the turner kit on my car and they are OEM not OE. just keep that in mind. Also, you need to paint the crown of the rotor cause mine is rusting like crazy and gets all over the barrel of the rim as well as the pad surface of the rotor when washing the car. granted, it goes away as soon as i hit the brake but its quite annoying. just something to keep in mind before installing.. id paint it... next time i definitely will before the install.
Where is the Crown of the rotor?
Mind showing?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
not sure if thats the technical term but look at this pic.. the orange part where the wheel mounts to is what i refer to as the crown:

btw.. just a random shot from google.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So all you do is paint it?
How much longer can it last w/o Rusting...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts