E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake light sensor went on.. So I had an appointment at the dealer this morning.. To get my brakepads replace. And they quoted me $470 to replace them..

I"m like wtf.. just for brake pads... Service guy said something like. you have to replace the rotors etc, etc... when the pads wear out!!

Is this true guys?

I told him forget it.. I'll just go to a local garage.
Another thing.. does anyone know anything about dustless pads.. whats a good brand, and quality. Do they work as good as bmw's?

·
Big Baller - Shot Caller
359 Posts
You don't HAVE to, but it's a good idea.

But you can do this yourself. There are a couple of really good DIY guides available that step you right through the whole process, including great photos.

Also, Axxis and Porterfield are decent pad that generate less dust than stock. I wouldn't say they are 100% dust free though. There are other good ones available.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Search. Also, DIY the less dependent you are on the dealer, the better off you wallet will be. PLUS you will get to put better quality parts on it for less! AND you will know something about your car and how it works.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
Order some new rotors, pads and sensors from your favorite mail order house. Then get a bunch of your buddies together and have a a brakefest. When you are done swapping brakes on everyone's cars, go to a fake theme restaurant (Fridays, Chilis, T.J. O'Pootertoots) and offend all the other patrons while swilling beer and making rude comments about which waitress you would hit.

http://www.teamdfl.com/events/brakefest

Ed

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
its usually a good idea because your OEM rotors will not last through 2 sets of pads. Some time midway through your second pad, your OEM rotors will wear out, only this time, you have no sensor to tell you as with the brake pads.

If you are one of those people that would check their pads and rotors once a month, just do your pads, but if you only check it only when something is wrong, change both of them.

You can always buy the parts from a dealership or other places online like Turner Motorsports or Circle BMW and bring it to a local shop that you trust or DIY.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its just weird, the sensor light came on about a week ago.. So you guys are saying I should order rotors, etc.. to replace the brakes?

I guess i'll buy the parts and have someone do them. or maybe DIY.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
topazcpe said:
its just weird, the sensor light came on about a week ago.. So you guys are saying I should order rotors, etc.. to replace the brakes?

I guess i'll buy the parts and have someone do them. or maybe DIY.
If your brake light is on, I'm pretty sure you're going to need to brake pad sensors to replace the one that kicked the light on. You might want to check on this too.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
CTOM9 said:
Hey Ed,

When is the next Brakefest? The weather is finally warming up :D

Chris
I was thinking of having one in about a month depending on the travel schedule at work. Does April 26 or 27 sound good?

Ed

·
F22C1
944 Posts
teamdfl said:

You definitely do not need an impact wrench to change brakes. If you want a cheapo 120v electric impact, try Harbor Freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=31877

Ed
well i was doing my benz brakes last week and i couldnt do the rotors because of the two things on the calipers blocking the rotors as shown in this pic
http://teamdfl.com/events/brakefest/Pages/Image7.html
i need to take off the whole caliper but the two bolts wont budge. i was thinking maybe an impact wrench will break it free.
attached pic shows the two bolts

·
Registered
815 Posts
teamdfl said:

I was thinking of having one in about a month depending on the travel schedule at work. Does April 26 or 27 sound good?

Ed
Works for me. Let me see what Brent and Shant's schedule is like for then. Maybe post this in the events section?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
e46shift said:

well i was doing my benz brakes last week and i couldnt do the rotors because of the two things on the calipers blocking the rotors as shown in this pic
http://teamdfl.com/events/brakefest/Pages/Image7.html
i need to take off the whole caliper but the two bolts wont budge. i was thinking maybe an impact wrench will break it free.
attached pic shows the two bolts
The carrier bolts can be a PITA, especially if you attack them with a regular ratchet. I have always had good results with a 16mm 1/2" drive socket, a 3" to 6" extension, and an 18" long 1/2" drive breaker bar.

Ed

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
CTOM9 said:

Works for me. Let me see what Brent and Shant's schedule is like for then. Maybe post this in the events section?
Sounds good to me. There may also be someone interested in installing a set of the new UUC brakes.

Ed

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,902 Posts
is your car still under warranty? if so, it should be free of charge...mines were ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts