BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 BMW 323i and have recently replaced the stock 16" Y-spoke wheels with 17" BBS RKs. As expected the stock brakes now seem much too small sitting inside the larger 17"ers.

I can't really justify changing the brakes out simply for aesthetic reasons. Braking performance has never been a problem. I've never had any problem engaging ABS with the stock brakes. Brembo, as well as many posters on this site, suggest that big brake kits will not improve the braking ability of the car--unless the car is on the trake, of couse. Boiled down to its essence, they argue either you can lock wheel or you can't, for normal street driving that is. And this seems quite cogent reasoning.

My question, however, is why do the other 3-series have larger brake rotors? All the 3-series cars weigh approximately the same. Without question my humble little 323i will not get up to speed as fast as 325i, 328i, or 330i, but equally true once up to speed it still needs to stop.

Is it that the other models had 16" wheels minimum and BMW wanted to put larger rotors on all the cars from the beginning? The same could be true of the 330i with its standard 17" wheels.

Thanks for any imput...

Thom.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
you could have the stock rotors refinished, maybe slotted or crossdrilled, and change up to Axxis dustless pads (to protect those RK's from dust), and that would look better than the stock brakes, and cost less than getting a BBK or 330 brakes or whatever.

could even paint your calipers then, would look good.

-brendan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts