BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last May I changed our my front pads/rotors as my mechanic said they were getting bad. The light wasn't on yet, but I replaced them anyways as I was going on a road trip and didn't want to worry about it. Fast forward to now, and the brake pad sensor light kicked on... could it just be dirty, or should they really be replaced?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Have you actually checked to confirm the Front pads are worn down to the sensor?
Have you checked the rear brake pads? There is a brake pad wear sensor on each axle.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
You have to look at the brakes. You have brakes on both the front and the rear, so if they replaced brakes on one end of the car, odds are high that the light is coming from the sensor at the other end of the car.

There is a wear sensor on the left front and right rear.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Last May I changed our my front pads/rotors as my mechanic said they were getting bad. The light wasn't on yet, but I replaced them anyways as I was going on a road trip and didn't want to worry about it. Fast forward to now, and the brake pad sensor light kicked on... could it just be dirty, or should they really be replaced?
It could be front pads too if u drove a lot of miles. But more likely it is the rear sensor. Not a biggie. Just check your pads (front and rear)

·
Vendor
13,153 Posts
Sometimes if not installed correctly , or if broken when installed, they tend to pop out and hit the rotor. Over time they wear down.

Hope that helps , we have them right here for you to clear those lights.

Click here for the front.

Click here for the rear.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
219 Posts
or if u had a shitty luck, nothing was actually changed the first time. it happens... but i agree, maybe its just your rears. Not to thread jack, but I had a question, should rotors and pads ALWAYS be replaced at same time? I know you dont have to change the front and back at the same time, but do have to change both left and right together.

·
Registered
313 Posts
or if u had a shitty luck, nothing was actually changed the first time. it happens... but i agree, maybe its just your rears. Not to thread jack, but I had a question, should rotors and pads ALWAYS be replaced at same time? I know you dont have to change the front and back at the same time, but do have to change both left and right together.
yep.. it's always better to replace left and right at the same time. And usually it's a good idea when u replace pads to replace rotors too. But it also depends on how u drive.. But usually the thickness of rotors is not enough for second set of pads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts