E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help choosing brake pads to replace all four on my E46. My car currently has ceramics and I would like to stick with these.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,242 Posts
You have ceramic pads and you want to keep them?

I agree with Textars (OEM) on blank rotors. Kept me alive for about 400k miles in a bmw 3-series. :)

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
9,417 Posts
You have ceramic pads and you want to keep them?

I agree with Textars (OEM) on blank rotors. Kept me alive for about 400k miles in a bmw 3-series. :)
"Keep you alive"?

Must be some extraordinary pads? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,242 Posts
"Keep you alive"?

Must be some extraordinary pads? :ROFLMAO:
They are. They also kept two deer, and about 10,000 stupid f'n NJ drivers alive too.

I live, eat, and breathe Textar pads, and rinse them down with Gummi Pflege--yes, I am probably hurting my stomach lining, but OE compound is actually better tasting than you might think. Sort of like Bokchoy with a strong curry flavor.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I say hawk hps 5.0 or the performance ceramic. I have had great experience with the 5.0 but I want to try the PC on too

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
+1 for textar

A remarkably high- performance street pad that has good cold performance at the cost of dust.

The Acky- Boners are not so good cold, and particularly terrible wet. Which has led me to pee
myself several times in the now LA- worthy traffic around here.

t

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just put Akebonos on the ZHP. Still breaking them in, but feel good. Have loved them on other cars, don’t track and hate to clean wheels.

·
Registered
E46 F10 W204 W212
5,290 Posts
I say hawk hps 5.0 or the performance ceramic. I have had great experience with the 5.0 but I want to try the PC on too
PCs are garbage. No bite. I have them on the E63, wish I went With the HPS 5.0 myself.

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,919 Posts
Akebonos. Tektar are not ceramic.

I have them on both e46s and really like them. 80k miles on one set and still going great. No issues wet and I have a lead foot.
Another vote the Akebonos. No dust, great performance. Some say they don't have the initial "bite" Textars do, but I've not had any issues with them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Another vote the Akebonos. No dust, great performance. Some say they don't have the initial "bite" Textars do, but I've not had any issues with them.
My ears were burning, since I just replaced the pads on my 330Ci with Akebono PCs. I was hoping the praise I was reading would mean they were as adequate at stopping as the OE (Textar) pads that were on it. They aren’t. They’re actually not that far behind, but if stopping power was the ONLY criteria, the Textar pads are better. That said, it’s not the only criteria, as I can’t stand the dust build up that requires a good cleaning every 3-5 days (it’s a daily), so I went with the A-PC pads and am adjusting to the extended stopping distances. Overall, I’m happy with them, but would have loved to find the unicorn, the dustless pad that stops as good, or better, than the OEs.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
I am dubious the stopping distance is meaningfully different. I completely buy that there is a difference in "bite" or feel.

Years ago I searched everywhere for stopping distance data or research and found zero. I did it again today because I hoped it had changed. Unless someone can find the data, then I am going to assume they work pretty much the same, as if it were different, some marketing group would be riding that data like a pony.

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think i'm going to go with the Akebono's, but I'm a little confused, because on Akebono's website the rear pads are EUR396A same on RockAuto, however on FCPEuro it's telling me the rear pads are EUR763 which is for the wagon.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
7,906 Posts
There are no wagon specific pads. There are pads for 323/325 and larger for 330. 325xi uses 330.

323i bmw part number for rear brakes is 34216778168 (same as 325)

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I think i'm going to go with the Akebono's, but I'm a little confused, because on Akebono's website the rear pads are EUR396A same on RockAuto, however on FCPEuro it's telling me the rear pads are EUR763 which is for the wagon.
You lost me at RockAuto, I would avoid them like the plague and stick with FCPEuro. I ordered my Zimmerman/Akebono kit from them without an issue and will do the same when the rear brakes need replacing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts