BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure. I'm sure a bit of googling would tell you. My thought is if one side went bad, the other side will go bad soon too.
So I guess the consensus is that if the bad bearing is due to some kind of acute damage, like hitting a curb, then it is acceptable to just change one side, especially if it's a low mileage car. If it is just from wear and tear on a higher mileage car, good practice to change both sides. I'm at 93k. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A little late on posting this, but when I got my alignment, they investigated the sound. They were sort of able to hear something when turning (forget which way), also he noticed my right tie-rod assembly was slightly bent. I told him that is impossible because the tierods are brand new (20 miles on them at the time). Decided maybe the inner tie rod assembly was bent from an impact to the right wheel, which would explain a damaged wheel bearing. He says symptoms are consistent with a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Reviving this thread upon making a new discovery. I normally drive alone, so I hear the sound coming from the right. Recently, I drove with a passenger, and decided to see if they could also hear the rubbing. He said he heard it...coming from the left! Now I know, the sound isn't coming from the wheel, but from somewhere below us! My initial thought was that perhaps some heat shield was making contact with the guibo or drive shaft, so I took a look, but nothing as far as I could tell. Based off the location of the sound, I am thinking now perhaps it is the CSB. I have 95k miles. Does anyone know what a soft-failing CSB sounds like?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
...I am thinking now perhaps it is the CSB. I have 95k miles. Does anyone know what a soft-failing CSB sounds like?
Bump
Btw it’s not the CSB, or anything in the driveshaft. It’s definitely the front wheels. I am attaching a video I made, recreating the sound I am hearing when I drive. It’s gets louder when I brake.
I have new Akebono pads and Zimmermann rotors. What do you guys think; still a sticking caliper?
https://youtu.be/idocqd38rPc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 44 of 44 Posts