BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if the sound is coming from my brakes or not, but when I gradually brake to a complete stop, there's a "clicking" noise from the rear of the car...ne ideas wut this could be? It mite be associated with the transmission....not too sure, tho. All I know is that right before my car comes to a complete stop, there's a faint thump in the back...:eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the same problem -thumping noise at the back. Going to the dealer tommorow to see what it is.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Have you changed your brake pads recently? This happened to me right after I first installed my Axxis pads. When I took it to my friends shop, we realized this noise was due to the pads rattling around in the caliper - as it wasn't properly installed.

At slow speeds, when coming to a complete stop, or over bumps, this 'clunk' was noticeable.

Try this test, go over a bump slow to see if you hear it. If you do, then go over the same bump again - this time with your foot on the brake pedal. If it doesn't clunk - then it probably is the way the pad is sitting in the caliper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is odd. I haven't replaced my brake pads in a while either. I tried going over a speed bump without my foot on the brake, and there was no "thump," but when I went over it with my foot on the brake and then made a complete stop, sure enough, that "thump" reappeared.

Anyway, albert einstein, can you tell me what the dealer told you? Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
thumping noise

I just returned from the dealer. Superviser knew right away that the problem is what I was talking about - output flange needs to be replaced. It is common issue for 323i's.

To describe the noise I had:

It sounded as some heavy object was in the trunk and when you suddenly brake, it hits the front of your trunk. It also happended sometimes while going over bumps or turning left or right. I emptied the whole car to be sure that the noise is genuine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no...how unfortunate for me. I just installed a pretty heavy subwoofer box in the trunk. What can I do then? I know I have too much weight in the trunk, but is there any way I can fix the problem without having to remove the box?

Albert, please advise...thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
JB28

not to worry.They will come to the flange from underneath. Insist on test drive with foreman when you go to service, otherwise they will make you come twice, since first time apparently, they did not hear anything.

hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts