E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Long time BMW owner, first time poster. Title says most of it. I went away for Christmas break for 3 weeks and came back to find my computer (with the mileage, temp, etc.) blank (light still on, but blank). The car still works fine so I think nothing of it. Fast forward 2 days and I wake up the next morning to find a dead battery. I get a jump and realize that, even without the keys in, the computer backlight, brake lights, and headlight knob are all still on. Also, when I have the driver door open, the car beeps as if I still have the keys in the ignition. Not sure if it matters, but it did rain a ton a few nights ago.

I referenced the e46 wiki and they said it could possibly be due to the car thinking it's malfunctioned, and that driving on a regular road a few miles would work. I briefly saw the computer come back on with the temperature, etc., but the letters/numbers went away in a few seconds.

I've since disconnected the battery from the car...I tried just removing the brake light fuse but was worried the computer light might also drain the battery.

Has anyone else experienced these issues and/or know how to resolve them? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out it's 12 volts...but I've been using the same battery for almost the entire duration of the vehicle (roughly 6 years) and this is the first time something's gone wrong. Someone suggested that water may have flown down on the A and C pillars behind the trim and made the carpets and electronics wet. Should I check that out?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update for anyone curious: I left the battery unplugged overnight, hooked it back up in the morning and everything worked fine. Did literally nothing else. It's possible the water just needed to evaporate but that's nothing more than a guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.