BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to change my brake fluid tomorrow. Hoping you guys have some good input. As usual:)

Someone said if I'm not tracking, then Prestone DOT 4 is fine.
I'm not tracking, but may brake hard in corners while on the street/country/ curvy roads.

I bought Advanced Auto Part brand, (Wearever DOT 4). Is that safe and fine to use on my E46 M3? Will it be comparable to BMW's brand?

Versus, Pentosin DOT 4 from Napa or Prestone?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,204 Posts
ATE is good stuff, but be careful with the ATE Blue if you have anal retentive safety inspections where you live. The ATE Blue is not NHTSA approved because... it's blue! :facepalm:

Feff
Unsure if ATE super blue is available any longer? About 8 years ago our government (your tax dollars at work) made a revision to the laws that govern what colors some fluids should be. '
In their infinite wisdom they made "Blue" colored illegal. Furthermore the sale of any blue brake fluid on hand in stores/warehouses must be returned to the vendor and "Is Not For Sale". Just great....
I often found the two versions of the Ate Super Blue and it's brother TYP 200 (gold in color) made brake fluid changes very easy. Flush #1, use blue, next change use gold. And so on....
It became VERY easy to know when the fluid was changed, as the color would change in the catch bottle.

I was able to buy two cases of the Super Blue under another description after the law changed and have since depleted my stock. If you have, and the bottle is not opened, it should be fine.

The logic (NOT) behind the very stupid law as to prevent an idiot of using blue anti-freeze and pouring into the braking system. "It's the same color, must be the right stuff?"

Just ridiculous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Use Genuine BMW low viscosity brake fluid. My good friend is the service Manager at a BMW Dealer and it costs the same amount as all the other brands or a couple of bucks more. Not worth the risk!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts