E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· Registered
2,260 Posts
hamann 330Ci said:
so baiscally if u want good braking distance there will be a lot of dust ............so there is no way to get the best of both worlds
That's not entirely true. While no dust = no brakes, the dust from some pads is lighter in color and washes off more easily. Hawk HPS is one of them.

· Big Baller - Shot Caller
1,293 Posts
Anyone install the Porterfield RS-4 pads. I installed a set about two weeks ago, and they are squealing like stuck pigs.

I was carefull to install them per the instructions, as well as to do a proper break in on them.

I am giving it another week, if it doesn't go away........ OFF they come.

Anyone else experience this?

· Registered
7 Posts
OldGold1906 said:
Anyone install the Porterfield RS-4 pads. I installed a set about two weeks ago, and they are squealing like stuck pigs.

I was carefull to install them per the instructions, as well as to do a proper break in on them.

I am giving it another week, if it doesn't go away........ OFF they come.

Anyone else experience this?
Whatever the instructions you received says, you should look into the following:

1) Lip on rotors - if your rotors are used, then the tendency to squeal is much greater because you have 2 uneven surfaces, and that the protruding lip, regardless how small, interferes with the complete contact of the new pads. USE BRAND NEW ROTORS IF POSSIBLE.

2) Improper installation - you should use the spray-on version of an anti-squeal compound. We used many brands, but found that the Permatex Disc Brake Quiet, Part No. 80077 works best with the Porterfield pads. They are available from your local parts store.

3) Improper bedding procedure - causes thermal shock on the new rotors. Brake-in your brakes during the first 30 miles then be gentle on the next 300 miles.

Hope that helps!

1,293 Posts
jungko said:

Whatever the instructions you received says, you should look into the following:

1) Lip on rotors - if your rotors are used, then the tendency to squeal is much greater because you have 2 uneven surfaces, and that the protruding lip, regardless how small, interferes with the complete contact of the new pads. USE BRAND NEW ROTORS IF POSSIBLE.

2) Improper installation - you should use the spray-on version of an anti-squeal compound. We used many brands, but found that the Permatex Disc Brake Quiet, Part No. 80077 works best with the Porterfield pads. They are available from your local parts store.

3) Improper bedding procedure - causes thermal shock on the new rotors. Brake-in your brakes during the first 30 miles then be gentle on the next 300 miles.

Hope that helps!
Hey thanks,

I have narrowed down the problem as most likely not using the proper anti squeal compound. I am going to try the Permatex you recommend and see if that solves the problem.

I was under the impression that the sqeal was the pad contact with the rotor, but recently found its normally the pad vibration. Hey you learn something every day.

· Registered
937 Posts
the best and permanent way to eliminate squeal...

...is to install teflon, anti-squeal brake pad shims. it has adhesive on the back when you peel off the protective paper; you just simply place it on the back of the pad and install them. they are the best and easiest to use.

1,293 Posts
Re: the best and permanent way to eliminate squeal...

maynardc said:
...is to install teflon, anti-squeal brake pad shims. it has adhesive on the back when you peel off the protective paper; you just simply place it on the back of the pad and install them. they are the best and easiest to use.
Can these shims be found easily, or are they pad specific? Are generic shim available?

· Registered
937 Posts
Re: Re: the best and permanent way to eliminate squeal...

I'm sure they have some, and they are generally just a few bucks each tops. Good luck!

http://www.brakesrus.com/contactus.html
http://www.ebcbrakesuk.com/ContactUs.html

Tirerack may also sell them since they are an authorized distributor or EBC brake pads.

Text From EBC:
NOISE - Light whistling/squeaking (at walking pace)
This noise usually happens as the vehicle is coming to rest and is again typical of a pad that is just bedding in or has been under used. Again the remedy is to allow a few hundred miles for the pads to properly seat and have 100% contact surface against the disc. If the problem occurs intermittently, one good cure is to use the brake severely every day now and again on a safe secluded low traffic piece of road to “de-glaze” the surface of the brake pad. Obviously extreme caution must be used when recommending this to customers, especially with regard to the low traffic aspect. If the problem occurs continuously and the pad was not fitted with shims on the rear of the steel backing plate, call EBC for a free set of anti-squeal shims, which can be fitted by your local dealer. As this type of incident is usually vehicle specific EBC do not normally undertake to absorb the fitting charges for applying the shims but will issue the shims themselves free of charge.

SCREECHING (a loud squealing noise when applying the brakes at all times)
The usual reason for this is that the pads have not bedded in. If this has happened during the early life of fitment tell the customer to wait 300 - 500 miles until the pads are fully bedded in. This noise is also very prevalent when the pads have been fitted to rotors that have not been turned and have grooves or scoring. This will also extend the bed in time.

This is caused sometimes by the pad bouncing around in the caliper and can be cured by the application of fibre shims. Call EBC for the issue of free shims, the installation of which must be paid for by your installing mechanic, which should solve the problem.

OldGold1906 said:

Can these shims be found easily, or are they pad specific? Are generic shim available?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.