E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many BMW drivers know, brake dust sux! I've been recommended all sorts of techniques to assist me with this problem but wanted to ask again..."how does the BMW deal with this?" I'm buyin some new shoes soon and wanted to make sure I keep these real clean! All suggestions are appreciated! :banghead:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get some high performance street brake-pads, I have heard that you can get a significant reduction in brake dust doing this. That is my plan at least. My brakes produce an unbelievable amount of dust.

Nix

·
Owner
3,747 Posts
Brake dust is good. If you don't wash your rims for about a month, you can have simulated gunmetal finish. It looks nice.

·
The De46vil's Army
16,141 Posts
Choson1 said:
Brake dust is good. If you don't wash your rims for about a month, you can have simulated gunmetal finish. It looks nice.
but the front ones always come out darker

·
Registered
477 Posts
yeah, if you wax your wheels, the brake dust comes off lots more easily. Also, look into buying a mini-cali duster. Those work great. Just wipe and go. I've thought about getting the axxis pads though...but for now, brake pads are free from BMW so who cares. I'll pay out of pocket when my car is out of warranty...

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
Jim, get Pagid/Axxis pads. I have Pagids up front/Porterfield rear. My wheels are still clean after a month.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
BAVAUTO LIES!

Whatever you do, do NOT believe bavauto magazine or website. I purchased their 'DUST FREE MINTEX' pads seen here: See Lie HERE!

I couldn't wait, put the car up on stands, pulled all four wheels, swapped out pads and grinned from ear-to-ear, the idea of no dust was intoxicating.

One week later, wheels had dust, not as much as stock pads but DUST! I wrote a letter of compliant to BAVAUTO and they said, "All pads will produce some level of dust, these pads will produce dust, they just will not produce as much as stock pads". I accused them of false advertising, mis-representation and basically, being true bastards. Their magazine and website have big, bold DUST FREE on the ad. I don't see any asterisk or fine print that says "not really".

The net-net is they gave me a big ol' $25 gift certificate towards a future purchase after I spent $120 on parts & shipping for my DUST FREE pads. It'll be a cold day in hell before I EVER spend money with those a$$holes again.

Wow, I just re-read my post, I sound bitter.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
BMWMANIAC said:
heheh you sure do, but wtf are you doing buying from them anyway? They are always the MOST expensive.
Yes I'm guilty of buying from them but I have an excuse! I didn't have the wisdom of you good people before I spent hard earned money! Now that I'm a member here I have the wisdom of everyone here to guide me in the right direction!

K

·
Registered
465 Posts
jestr said:
Has anybody tried the Hawk HPS Brake Pads? They any good? :dunno:
Hey buddy,

I have them on the rear of my car and they're great, been doing fine w/o any problems. The only thing is theyr'e the rear brake pads so less work is put onto it due to the fact that most of the braking for our cars are handled by the front units. I say brake dust has reduced :). I'll probably change my front rotors and pads in 2-3 months or so. I could give everyone an update on it. :)

Oh yeah I've heard that axis pads are not that great in cold weather!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nixlimited said:
Get some high performance street brake-pads, I have heard that you can get a significant reduction in brake dust doing this. That is my plan at least. My brakes produce an unbelievable amount of dust.

Nix
why doesn't bmw do this from the factory?

·
Registered
215 Posts
sorry, i guess it's because i am new here, but i didn't know bavauto is crappy......oh wells, now i know! thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts