BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I don't think BMW expect people to ever see the wheel hubs / brake calipers as the AC Schnitzer Racing Type III wheels I have on my 325ci conv. have big gaps in and you could see the rust that had built up. It's only about 6 months old!

Anyway, I rubbed the calipers down with some wet+dry and used some thinner to clean them off then carefully masked off all the brake disks and everything and used some high temperature spray paint (silver) which others had said worked.

I also used some grey rust-resistant primer on the hubs which looked really bad before.

The whole effect is awesome. It now looks like a car that is worth having a very expensive set of alloys on, rather than a rustbucket between the wheels. Could've had red, black or silver but given that BMW brake calipers aren't too special to look at I thought silver would make them look good without emphasising them and it does.

Best few £s (or $ if you are in U.S!) I ever spent on the car, looks great.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else was considering it. Wish i'd taken before and after pictures, imagine rust vs. clean silver paint and you get the picture.

Do it if you need to,

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A few links to see my car (nothing to do with caliper but so you see the full picture!), followed by some caliper pics.

My Car 1

My Car 2

Ok here's the wheel before the caliper job. The photo was taken months ago so it wasn't really with the calipers in mind. To help, I've enhanced the photo around the caliper a bit so you can see the rust, but without messing up the rest of the picture. You can even see the bad state of the hub a bit if you look close. Might be a front vs. a back wheel but you get the general idea.

And here it is afterwards. Since there was such demand i've taken it at night (now!) so its with a flash which exaggerates it a bit when it reflects (it doesn't actually stand out as much as it appears to here) but you get the idea. You can only just see the grey primer on the hub but I think it improves it from before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
masking them

paulsdonovan said:
.... masking off as much as I could. Bad idea?
Not at all. I did mine that way about a year ago and it still looks great. The only had part is keeping them as clean as your rims! Yours look great.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
798 Posts
I did the same thing with aluminum/silver caliper paint. They don't stick out like red would, but with the silver they look clean and new. When I can i'll post my pics

1 - 11 of 11 Posts