E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I want to paint my brake calipers a nice red colour like some of the guys on the forum have.

I want to do it myself obviously, but the thing is, I have never taken them off before, and I don't want to screw something up.

If there is anyone out there that can help me out with either pictures or instructions or anything else, please reply back.

:thumbup:

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
your best bet is to buy the G2 caliper paint kit and brush it on. it's crazy easy and you don't have to take anything apart.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But what if I wanted to do a really nice job, like spray it and make it real nice.

Dang, nobody can help me out?
:dunno:

I am just so affraid to do it on my own wihtout any instructions becuase of BMW seeing that I did something and then them saying, oh, whel, we won't cover the brakes if something happens cause I was the one that had taken them off, and then put them back on.
:thumbdwn: :dunno:

·
Banned
345 Posts
I just did mine two weeks ago, looks fab! Did take me two days to complete though....used a paint kit and did not need to take anything apart...if you have a good quality jack, jack the car up as high as you can, then paint the inside if you want to....but I'd say forget about it...no one is going to look into that area and even you just paint the outside half, it will look nice after the rim is refitted. Just be careful with those hoses and rubber parts, cover them in duck tape...otherwise when the paint dried up you will not be able to take them off (say when you need to replace pad or disk in the future.) good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
someone did give you advice....

you asked for advice and someone gave it to you. If you're stuck on spray painting, then spray paint. Pretty simple really. Otherwise,
:search:

As far as warranty, BMW will void warranty if you do so much as drive it these days.

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
CP6NJA said:
But what if I wanted to do a really nice job, like spray it and make it real nice.

the G2 kit is the best. you won't see brush strokes and it's even, unmessy, easy, high gloss, and durable.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
StreetTrixE4six said:

the G2 kit is the best. you won't see brush strokes and it's even, unmessy, easy, high gloss, and durable.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
I used red on my old 330ci and silver on my M3. Both times it came out flawless. Best kit out there:thumbup:

·
Big in Japan
1,120 Posts
realistically, NOT to offend or belittle you, but you dont seem supermechanically inclined, and therefore I dont think that taking apart your brakes is wise. You have 2 options: clean them well on the car and use a brush setup; OR take them off the car, disassemble the calipers, prep, paint, reassemble, reinstall, and bleed the system, etc etc.

Personally, spray paint or brushed paint will yield identical results; if you really want to go the distance, it will require complete caliper disassembly, and having a shop powercoat them. This really is just overkill; buy the g2 and call it a day.

·
Banned
345 Posts
to get this professionally done it would cost a fortune..I'd rather pay a bit more to get a real Brembo kit...red calibres included:lmao:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts