E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330ci M-sport
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my brake booster on my 2004 330Ci. I bought it thinking I'd do it myself, but it's seemingly a more daunting task than I'd originally thought. Has anyone had a shop do this job? On my model it's buried under the electronics box, not in the drug bin. How many hours did they charge you for? I'd just be paying labor not parts. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Bummer here is a shop typically makes money on both the labor (obviously) and the parts which they can often buy cheaper than you and then make some margin. Because they know their parts source, if something goes wrong with the job, they'll get taken care of.

By contrast, you're going to give them the part. So, they'll make less money on the total job. Plus if something goes wrong with the part, you'll expect them to make good on something to do with the job and they'll have to take it off and convince you it was not their fault. And your car is down while YOU deal with returning it and getting a new one (days?), where they'd have another unit at the shop within the hour. So, you'll have to choose a shop wisely here as it's usually the crappy shops that go along with this, and the quality full shops that won't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts