BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its wonderful out today so I decided i'd take my baby out for a spin. On the way back, I noticed that everytime I left the car on neutral, the RPM's would bounce between 600-800. When they hit 800 the car would slightly vibrate. I was like wtf? There was very little fuel left in the tank and I was going to fill her up soon. Is this the reason? Has anyone else experienced this?

Also another question about parking. When you guys park on a slope, do you leave the car in gear along with the parking brake? I usually leave both on so that the car doesnt move...not sure if this will affect my tranny?

I own an '04 325i 5sp btw...

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
Its wonderful out today so I decided i'd take my baby out for a spin. On the way back, I noticed that everytime I left the car on neutral, the RPM's would bounce between 600-800. When they hit 800 the car would slightly vibrate. I was like wtf? There was very little fuel left in the tank and I was going to fill her up soon. Is this the reason? Has anyone else experienced this?

Also another question about parking. When you guys park on a slope, do you leave the car in gear along with the parking brake? I usually leave both on so that the car doesnt move...not sure if this will affect my tranny?

I own an '04 325i 5sp btw...
i don't know about the first one but as for the second one your supposed to pull the ebrake up first, take your foot off the brake so it settles, then put the car in gear as so you don't stress your transmission.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Stress the Tranny?

Do you guys really think leaving the car in gear (manual) while parked on a hill will stress the transmission. Stop and think for a minute how much stress you put on the transmission when you accelerate away from a stop...that stress is orders of magnitude more and the transmission handles it just fine. There is however an issue wrt automatics bec there is a locking pin that holds the weight of the car..in this case definitely set the e-brake and then take your foot off the brake and better still, turn the wheels against the curb.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so that fixed it. She took a couple gulps of 93 Octane and that needle's holdin pretty strong now...thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts