BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm noticing from forum comments that not just the E46 xi but all x models are seeing a lot of torn CV Joint boots. I was swapping to winter tires and I noticed grease all over the place in the driver's front wheel area. Moving to the passenger side it was the same thing.

Both were torn in the same place - rib 2. Any experience or ideas as to why this would happen in both front wheel? This is a car I only drive to work. The CV joint is not yet clicking so the tear was recent. In the CPO warranty CV Joint boots are listed.

I'd suggest to any xi owner, feel behind the wheel and around the control arm. If you feel grease take off the tire and examine the CV joint boot. Once it's out of warranty it's a biatch of a DIY.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
id get some new grease in there and slap a new boot on each quick or else you are gonna be dishing out some cash. i had mine rip and click and that was just the driver side and it set me back like $500

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Seems to be common on most awd bmws. If you go over to X5world.com, you'll see there's a bunch of people who've had torn CV boots. I know my dad's X5 and mom's 330xi both had both CV boots torn.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Search this forum for info on proper lubrication of the CV joints. Much of the time, the problem is loose bands on the CV boots; this can be fixed easily. Yours is a tear in the boot, itself. You have no options but to replace the boots (reasonable DIY if you have tools, and chutzpa). If you do not replace the boots, you WILL have problems with the joints drying out and binding. If you need to replace an axle shaft, bite the bullet and go with OEM. But, monitor the condition of the boots.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
put 2 on an xi the other day at work...and OMG holy freakin parts mark up. cost for an axle i think was like $90 but list is like 300 or something
I guess i'd being hitting you up for front axles in the future.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Search this forum for info on proper lubrication of the CV joints. Much of the time, the problem is loose bands on the CV boots; this can be fixed easily. Yours is a tear in the boot, itself. You have no options but to replace the boots (reasonable DIY if you have tools, and chutzpa). If you do not replace the boots, you WILL have problems with the joints drying out and binding. If you need to replace an axle shaft, bite the bullet and go with OEM. But, monitor the condition of the boots.
The bands in my case were intact and tight. Looking at the photo of the torn CV boot, my guess is the boot design on the xi is just too small or stretched too tight in the factory. 5 years on and for me 38,000 mi later, they tear. The dealer is replacing the boots Nov 4 since my CPO warranty is still in effect - I'm hoping BMW made some design changes. i.e. slightly bigger, less sharply folded boots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts