BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished installing a set of Boston Pro 5.5 speakers in the front door.

The clarity is amazing, but I'm a little disappointed with the lack of bass I'm getting out of them. I know the woofer is only 5.25" but I thought it would at least compete with the OEM 6.5" woofer which is definitely louder.

I've wired it directly to the amp and I've checked the polarity of the all the wires.

Is this what they're supose to sound like? Or is there something I could've done wrong?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
did you set it to high pass on the amp? if so, turn it back to full range. or maybe the crossover on your deck? why do you want bass outta the front mid? bass coming out of mids usually messes up the clarity. IMO, the way to get best sound quality is to configure the mids to put out only high signals then get a sub and have the sub do all the lows.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Best Option would have been to have 6's, but you have to work with what you have. As bimmer88 said, check the crossover points first. I like to set front speakers with the lowest possible freq they can handle without reaching their mechanical limits (~50 to ~60 Hz if possible) and a high slope 24db/oct to protect the speakers. Having good midbass in the front reduces or eliminates the "bass in back" syndrome.

If your crossover is set correctly, then maybe you have to work on making the door skin more solid. Dynamat the doors to eliminate resonances. Bostons are designed for free air, so an enclosure usually reduces lower frequency output.

You can also contact boston and ask for advise. They are usually pretty good with their replies, even though it might take them a couple days to get back to you.

·
modder fokker
6,907 Posts
Boston pro require lots of power. They need at least 60 real rms watt to sound very good. And i tell everybody forget the 5.25 and get the 6.5. 1000% difference in kickbass.

O well.....they dont listen :) you miss out :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts