BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys this weekend I just bought 2 10inch Alpine Type R's for 90 bucks each brand new. Which is a hella of a good price. Yesterday night I order my amp can you guys tell me what you think?

I ordered a Boss Ripper RIP-895 which is a 4 channel amp that has a total of 1600 watts. The s/n ratio is 105dB which I think is hella good and I paided 190 for it so what do you think, heres a pic, did I pick a bad sub because my friend said that he heard Boss were pretty good amps becasue I want to bridge it into 2 channel and make it 800 watts each sub. SO what do you think?

So did I make a bad decision? Also why is it so bad.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Wait, did you get BOSS amps or BOSS subs? Regardless, I hate to tell you that I think BOSS is a pretty bad brand :banghead: They usually have overheating problems and rarley make anywhere near the rated watts. Those Type-Rs are some decent subs and I wouldnt power them with that paperweight. Just my opinion....

AdamR

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sad :(

Well there specs showed pretty good charactistics. My friend copied me and got 2 also but a Lanzar amp which I think is a cheap POS.

This Amp has fans on it, it saids, So you think its a paperweight. Then what should I do. I don't want to spend too much and I ordered it already. I = sad :cry:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Try and sell your boss amp and get a rockford fosgate on Ebay you can find a good price if you search.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=1950349154

You get what you pay for! If its under 500 retail, I wouldnt expect a good product. Car audio stuff is very pricey. Just save up and do it the right way the first time so you dont waste money when that boss amp doesnt push those subs correctly and make you feel like :bawling:

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
Although Im a brand whore (we all are to an extent, we all have BMW's right? ;) )

I would have to say that that amp is that that great.. any manufacturer can put whatever specs on it. Ive seen 2000Watt amps made by crappy companies & I have seen high quality amps with 200 watts that will blow your doors off (Orion HCCA).

BUT, going back to the brand whore thing.. if the boss sounds good & sounds like solid 800 watts, just continue to use it.. however Iwould hide it under the seat..... and then put a towel on top of it... and then a box on top of that...

·
yo mama
1,609 Posts
If I needed that kind of wattage Id go with JBL Class D or The Ultimate, or Crossfire... for 2 channel, Id try to afford MTX.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I wouldnt go with a BOSS amp on the Type R2. Id get Alpine amps, MTX or maybe Kicker.:dunno:

·
Im The Man
1,261 Posts
MTX thunder and Kicker KX or ZR are pretty good amps. I used to have 3 thunder amps in my car.

MTX service is really good too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cancel

Ok guys I cancel my order for that amp now is the question what to get. I was thinking about a Rockford amp what do you think?

For each sub its 1000w peak and 300w RMS. So I was thinkin about getting a 4 channel amp and bridging it into 2 channels because its kinda cheaper. Maybe around a 1000 watt amp.

So what do you guys suggest?

·
Im The Man
1,261 Posts
Re: Cancel

325iBiMMeR said:
Ok guys I cancel my order for that amp now is the question what to get. I was thinking about a Rockford amp what do you think?

For each sub its 1000w peak and 300w RMS. So I was thinkin about getting a 4 channel amp and bridging it into 2 channels because its kinda cheaper. Maybe around a 1000 watt amp.

So what do you guys suggest?

I have a practically brand new MTX 500D sitting in my garage that can do 900W+ at 2ohms if your interested.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rockford

Hey guys I found a Rockford Fosgate 550x. I think its a pretty good price for $240.

Specs:
68.75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
137.5 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
275 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode at 4 ohms

I have 2 10inch Alpine Type R's. Its 1000 watt peak and its 300 watt RMS. Would this be enough power? Is this a good amp?

Sry I don't really know much about Car/Audio

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Im going to order two Type R 10s soon. Im going to get two Alpine mono amps for them. I think that should do the job.:D

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Hey bud. Glad to hear you could get rid of your BOSS amp. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news man. :banghead: Anyways, I would definetley go for the RF amps and stay away from the MTX amps. What is your budget on this anyways?

AdamR

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well my budget is around 300 but I don't want anything over because im really poor right now and it sux so this is my last mod for a while and I'm getting my UUC soon so I have to pay to get that installed anyways I want a pretty good amp.

What do you think of the RockFord Fosgate 550x. It 4 channel but i'll bridge it into 2 channel and I can get 275w (RMS) @ 4 ohms so I could get 550w @ 2 ohms per sub. Is 550w enough for each sub?

The peak is 1000w and rms is 300w so what do you guys think. I really like this one but if its not enough power i'll wait and save up.

·
Im The Man
1,261 Posts
digitalgm said:
Hey bud. Anyways, I would definetley go for the RF amps and stay away from the MTX amps. What is your budget on this anyways?

AdamR

Where do you get your reasoning for that? :tsk: :tsk:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts