BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
How are you going to do it in one night....doesn't this require quite a bit of metal fab?

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
I really wouldn't suggest just doing this as a DIY in your garage... i don't see how the finished product could possibly look good unless you really know what you're doing.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not doing it in one night, it will be over the entire weekend, just starting it tonight. Cardboard templates have already been made, and the metal bought as well as the paint, to repaint the entire hood.

I am doing this with help from a friend who has done body work for years. He has everything that a traditional shop would have.

So we'll see how it turns out, if it sucks then I just buy a new hood. O well...

Just thought I'd throw it out there

·
'a certain moderator'
38,194 Posts
I really wouldn't suggest just doing this as a DIY in your garage... i don't see how the finished product could possibly look good unless you really know what you're doing.

Just my two cents
No one cares for your negativity. Thanks.

I'm not doing it in one night, it will be over the entire weekend, just starting it tonight. Cardboard templates have already been made, and the metal bought as well as the paint, to repaint the entire hood.

I am doing this with help from a friend who has done body work for years. He has everything that a traditional shop would have.

So we'll see how it turns out, if it sucks then I just buy a new hood. O well...

Just thought I'd throw it out there
Good stuff, excited to see what you put together!

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
in.

cant wait to see this :thumbsup: one more helpful DIY to add to the forum for those ballsy enough to do DIY custom work.

good luck, cant wait to see the finished product

·
Registered
9,290 Posts

+1 Not everyone pays a shop to do all the work/modding.

Can't wait to see a DIY. Any type of DIY is a good DIY lol. Experiment for us, I think it will look good!

·
Registered
23,359 Posts

·
Sh!t Happens.
4,642 Posts

:werd: to both.

Chase, not sure if it's just me, but you've been really negative lately. You're usually the one to help out members. :dunno:

To the OP:
I'm pretty excited to see how you do this! And if it turns out bad, who cares, you would still learn a lot! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
looking forward to it...:thumbsup:

I've always thought of molding kamei eyelids to a facelift hood for my sedan, but bodywork is not my forte, so I would've had to have a shop do it...

props for the DIY, keep us posted..

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
:werd: to both.

Chase, not sure if it's just me, but you've been really negative lately. You're usually the one to help out members. :dunno:

To the OP:
I'm pretty excited to see how you do this! And if it turns out bad, who cares, you would still learn a lot! :thumbsup:
whoa whoa whoa... i can understand the comments about being more optimistic.... That said, if this was some 18 year old kid who was going to try and do something like this in their driveway, I think all of us would agree it would likely turn out with disastrous results. It was not until some time after my comments that the OP mentioned he was going to have a friend, who is a body shop professional, help him with the work.

1 - 20 of 292 Posts