E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these gonna cause running issues and do they need to be gapped if they do how the **** do you gap them using the coin style gapper?

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I think the new ones that are out you can get where you don't need to touch them.
I am not sure so if someone knows for sure please chime in.
NGK is really good as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, but i bought these online at www.autohausaz.com and as far as i know their not "pre-gapped" ( not like i would trust that anyway). but the way the pluga are shapped looks like they'd be hard gap.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I installed them 2 years(60K miles) ago without gapping them and had no problems what so ever so far. I am at 160K miles now. They work great.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yup same I installed them about 10k miles ago and have had no problem with them. I did not touch the gaps at all when I got them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet, thanks fellas, and gapping a spark plug is when you take the plug, place a gapper (found at pepboys) in between the little prong and the rest of the plug and make sure that the spacing is right for your car.

That was probably the most unclear explanation i've ever given

·
Registered
183 Posts
Even the pre-gapped spark plugs should always be measured in case the spacing is incorrect due to defect or by all the movements when shipped or moved. Most likely the pre-gapped spark plugs shouldn't need to be adjusted, but its' better to be safe than sorry because wrong spacing will cause your engine to ping, lose gas mileage, hestitation, etc.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Cobra said:
exactly what does it mean when you "gap" a spark plug anyway?
Gapping is setting the distance between the center electrode and each side electrode. The side electrodes are grounded to the engine. Sparkplugs work by having an electric voltage "jump" across the "gap" between the center electrode and one of the side electrode. The arc across the gap is what ignites the air/fuel mixture.

Note, even if you have 2 or more side electrodes, each individual spark will jump from the center electrode to one and only one side electrode.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts