BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to change the interior trim on my car, 2001 BMW 330xi, and I've already seen the Fanatics DIY page about it, but it doesn't explain one thing - Once you take the boot off to change the center panel, how do you put the boot back on properly? This is the only thing keeping me from buying a new carbon fiber or silver trim set.

While I'm changing up things in this region of the car I wanted to change the shift knob to an aluminum/silver one, how do you do that?

·
Registered
180 Posts
for the boot just grab the two sides of the boot and pull up and the clips should pop out. as for the trim there are two screws that are visible when the boot is off. after u take the two screws out the only thing holding the trim in is the two clip things on the upper part of the trim. wiggle free and shake it fast but watch yourself. aite.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
boot and shifter change

thanks for the help, but when you're putting the new trim on, how do you put the boot back onnn?

·
Registered
853 Posts
If your new center console looks different from the one on your car right now then the only thing I can think of is that one console is for an automatic and the other one is for a manual transmission. The consoles should be identical except for the color. your description isn't very clear.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bluebimmer - that's a goodquestion. I have automatic now so hopefully it'll be automatic trim - i ordered it, here's a pic, tell me what u think:

·
Registered
49 Posts
2001BMW330xi said:
bluebimmer - that's a goodquestion. I have automatic now so hopefully it'll be automatic trim - i ordered it, here's a pic, tell me what u think:

Dude, trim pieces are independent of whether you have auto or manual. To take the boot off your auto, you need to grab hold of the boot (leather) on the left side of the shifter and the leather gently to the right and up and the same time...this will release the two clips on the left of the boot, then wiggle the right side free. You will see the two small philips screws at the bottom of he trim...unscrew and you can change out the trim without having to take off the boot completely.

To remove the shifter, just pull like mad!!!

I did the same mod you are doing now. It was really easy, I changed my wood shifter to an all black leather auto shifter and changed the boot to a manual boot. Its a cool mad.

Good luck man. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so to remove the shifter I just gotta pull it off? just pull really hard? or do I have to take the boot off first or twist it?

·
Registered
49 Posts
2001BMW330xi said:
so to remove the shifter I just gotta pull it off? just pull really hard? or do I have to take the boot off first or twist it?
Pull off the shifter with the boot still on. There is no need to remove the boot first.

No need twist. Some people like to put it into neutral or whatever, but that really doesn't matter. The biggest thing is to use constant force to pull up.

Good luck to you!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for everyone's help - can i put a manual shifter in place of an automatic one, even though i'm not not going to follow that diagram on top - they just make cooler shifters for the manuals than the auto's.....

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anybody know? Can I put a manual shifter in place of the automatic one? (even though I won't be following the pattern?) The manual shifters just look a lot better..can it be done?

·
Registered
49 Posts
2001BMW330xi said:
does anybody know? Can I put a manual shifter in place of the automatic one? (even though I won't be following the pattern?) The manual shifters just look a lot better..can it be done?
Don't do it, you gonna accidentally drop your car from Drive into Reverese while cruising down the freeway at 80+mph. Talk about fast and furious!!! :ben:

Just kidding, feel free to do whatever. It's not gonna hurt. Just experiment with your ride.

How much did you pay fror your trim pieces? Its brand new?

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh yea, so wait, the manual shifters will work in place for an automatic one? As long as I don't mix up the patterns It'll still work right? Just pull off and stick on right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry fellas, you are saying to remove the gear shifter you pull up really hard....come on, really. I tried and no go. There has got to be something that needs to happen before hand whether that means twist 45 degrees and then pull...but just sheer pulling will not release the shifter.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
Then the guy I bought my 325XI off of welded his on.
Just pull really hard, I thought the same thing to about getting mine off. With enough strength, the evil shift knob will come off. I have a manual though, don't know what you have.

My method was as follows:

1. Open sunroof
2. Stradle center console with one foot on each seat, head out of sun roof.
3. Wave to any people who think you're nuts.
4. Grab the shift knob and give it all you've got.
Note: Put a pillow between you and the shift knob if you don't want it in your face. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts