E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im running a 10w7 w/ 500/1, which most of you know, ref. past posts, anyhow what do you guys recommend as a max db Boost setting?? Im going for alittle more SPL than SQ, something like this: SPL 60/40 SQ.

PS. I just got the Bass Remote and installed it....nothing special, but pretty cool. Pics = soon.

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,186 Posts
Don't boost on the amp. I think thats ghetto.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
If you want SPL, you need more subs and/or more power.
Boosting what you have will only give you the opportunity to be contacting JL for warranty service on a blown subwoofer.

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ca1242 said:
If you want SPL, you need more subs and/or more power.
Boosting what you have will only give you the opportunity to be contacting JL for warranty service on a blown subwoofer.
Oh ok....ill turn it off. I had it somewhere around +10db or something like that. Wasnt sure about it.

PS. Any other suggestions on like: "Q", Freq. Responses, Center Freq, etc? Im just using the "recommended" settings, so im sure those are made for a scaled down system so the JL sub will be SAFE forever.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Gametrade said:
Oh ok....ill turn it off. I had it somewhere around +10db or something like that. Wasnt sure about it.

PS. Any other suggestions on like: "Q", Freq. Responses, Center Freq, etc? Im just using the "recommended" settings, so im sure those are made for a scaled down system so the JL sub will be SAFE forever.
It really depends on how you have the gain setup. As long as the gain is within a "safe level", where the amplifier is not already putting out distortion, you can play with the equalizer a bit. But if you have the gain already turned up where you get clipping, boosting the signal just creates even more distortion.

·
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ca1242 said:
It really depends on how you have the gain setup. As long as the gain is within a "safe level", where the amplifier is not already putting out distortion, you can play with the equalizer a bit. But if you have the gain already turned up where you get clipping, boosting the signal just creates even more distortion.
Well ill turn the gain [boost(db)] off, so there will be no clipping or anything. What are some suggested settings for the other controls? I have a 10w7, 500/1, sealed box, 1.34 cu ft, took out HK subs, so 4 port holes in back deck, plus i installed the bass remote module so i can turn up the bass in the cabin.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Gametrade said:
Well ill turn the gain [boost(db)] off, so there will be no clipping or anything. What are some suggested settings for the other controls? I have a 10w7, 500/1, sealed box, 1.34 cu ft, took out HK subs, so 4 port holes in back deck, plus i installed the bass remote module so i can turn up the bass in the cabin.
Personally, I leave all EQ setting at zero unless there is a problem with the car you need to compensate for. As far as adjusting the gains, you really need test equipment to do it properly. Since I am sure you are not going to spend $1000 on an oscilloscope to set amplifier gains, you are going to have to do it by ear. Get the Autosound 2000 Disc Four (Amplifier Optimizer Test CD). It is a great tool to setup gains. You can use the disc whether you do it by ear or test equipment. Crutchfield sells it for $10: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FSuUFTf2XYK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=726&I=503CD104

1 - 7 of 7 Posts