BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boombop, the guy that sells the e46 headers on ebay is a jackass. I got a set from him a few weeks ago for my 325 and every thing went well. Well.. i just tried to put the set on my 330 i got from him and they are all f'ed up. rear section of headers are fine, its the front that are messed up. there is one pipe that hangs down way to low and it hits the motor mount when you try and put it in. Well i called him today to try and figure something out, and his solution just shocked the hell out of me. He told me to take a die grinder or cutoff wheel and carve out a section that looks like halve of a golf ball. I told him to send me another set, thats when he tells me he is having problems with the manufacture.
so unless you feel like cutting you engine mount all to hell and having it fall out i would go with a different seller or use a sponsor.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
thats nothing new, adambath did it, i will have to do it as well, we got the wrong headers but they will work , rest assured

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but see the thing is you cut the headers not the engine mount. They are the proper headers for the 325/330, they just made one of the pipes going into the collector to long or something.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
wait, he wants you to cut the headers? or are you saying that? you cut the mount dude

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he wanted me to cut a huge chunk out of the mount, its a aluminum mount bracket. The metal is cast, which means you cant cut,weld or grind on it. It WILL break in two. i am just going to cut out the long section of pipe, make the proper fit and tig weld it back up.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
im pretty sure you can cut it, i cut stainless steel at work, with the proper tools it can be cut, wait till adambath shows up to monitor this thread, he cut his ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah but ss is a whole different game then aluminum, now if the mounts were billet aluminum it would be good to go. Just call and ask any welding or fab shop if its a good idea to take a chunk out of a cast aluminum engine mount. Just make sure you do it over the phone, that way when they start laughing at you just hang up.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
he wanted me to cut a huge chunk out of the mount, its a aluminum mount bracket. The metal is cast, which means you cant cut,weld or grind on it. It WILL break in two. i am just going to cut out the long section of pipe, make the proper fit and tig weld it back up.
The part you need to cut is not the actual mount, its a metal cover that's pop riveted to the top of the mount. You could remove the cover if you wanted, it does nothing but keep you from dropping tools in it. I grinded the sheet metal cover down and my headers fit perfectly. No reason to be shocked, upset, or remove boompop from the list, there is nothing wrong with his advice, only with your interpretation.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The part you need to cut is not the actual mount, its a metal cover that's pop riveted to the top of the mount. You could remove the cover if you wanted, it does nothing but keep you from dropping tools in it. I grinded the sheet metal cover down and my headers fit perfectly. No reason to be shocked, upset, or remove boompop from the list, there is nothing wrong with his advice, only with your interpretation.
I really dont think you understand what i am saying, when i put them on my 325 i had to grind off all of the heads on the rivits so the heat shield would come off. no big deal. But the problem i am having is that the pipe is to long and is hitting the mount with he heat shield off. I called him and talked to him and he told me to cut a chunk out of it to make it fit. Trust me, i am not mixed up about anything.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I really dont think you understand what i am saying, when i put them on my 325 i had to grind off all of the heads on the rivits so the heat shield would come off. no big deal. But the problem i am having is that the pipe is to long and is hitting the mount with he heat shield off. I called him and talked to him and he told me to cut a chunk out of it to make it fit. Trust me, i am not mixed up about anything.
That's odd, it should be identical on the 330 as the 325, as they are both m54's. Are all the bolts holding the headers on loose, or did you tighten them up and reinstall the engine mount?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i tighten every thing down, jacked up the motor and tryed to fit the mount back in. they are both identical, are look 100% the same. i just did the install on my 325 just two or three weeks ago.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i talked to a buddy of mine and was asking if my car had ever been in a accident which it has not, my gf is the original owner of the car.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
i tighten every thing down, jacked up the motor and tryed to fit the mount back in. they are both identical, are look 100% the same. i just did the install on my 325 just two or three weeks ago.
Loosen the bolts holding the front section of header down, reinstall your motor mount, then tighten the header down, it should work out. Its got room to move on the studs, so it has to be in the correct spot if you're going to tighten the bolts before reinstalling the engine mount. I did my header gaskets recently, and I didn't even remove the engine mounts, and all went smoothly.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Loosen the bolts holding the front section of header down, reinstall your motor mount, then tighten the header down, it should work out. Its got room to move on the studs, so it has to be in the correct spot if you're going to tighten the bolts before reinstalling the engine mount. I did my header gaskets recently, and I didn't even remove the engine mounts, and all went smoothly.

i did that and it will just not work out. I am telling you i have a defective front header, ching (boombop) even told me he was having problem with the fitments after the heat shield was removed.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
i did that and it will just not work out. I am telling you i have a defective front header, ching (boombop) even told me he was having problem with the fitments after the heat shield was removed.
Its possible, but that's not boompops fault. His advice might have sucked, but he's still a good place to buy a set of headers

·
Banned
9,387 Posts
Good call ken :thumbsup:

I almost bought a set from him awhile back but remembered you telling me about him

I wouldnt mess with the motor mounts to be honest with you but if you feel you can cut a hole in them without messing with there structural integrity go for it.

·
Registered
25,179 Posts
When Jeremysmith1967 (RIP) installed mine, he had to grind my motor mount down a bit with an angle grinder. It wasn't that big of a deal, and everything worked.

·
Banned
9,387 Posts
When Jeremysmith1967 (RIP) installed mine, he had to grind my motor mount down a bit with an angle grinder. It wasn't that big of a deal, and everything worked.
i've heard of that. Though the way the OP describes it he wants a hole :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts