E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen I am new to the forum as I have recently purchased a 2005 325CI , sadly while doing some maintenance I.E a new thermostat and a purge valve replacement. I had the two bottom bolts of the thermostat break in half inside the engine block. It is being towed to the shop now to be repaired.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It probably having a leak at the Tstat housing for sometime, leading to corrosion on the bolts. To avoid this next time, tapping the bolt head with a hammer before wrenching it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably having a leak at the Tstat housing for sometime, leading to corrosion on the bolts. To avoid this next time, tapping the bolt head with a hammer before wrenching it out.
Well the bolts that had come off of the thermostat felt a bit cheap, I made the mistake of putting them back onto the housing (and over torqueing) i should have used the OEM bolts.

·
Super Moderator
1,993 Posts
I think you need to ask your momma for a torque wrench for Christmas. :ROFLMAO::LOL:
Or tighten them with a quarter inch ratchet and one hand by feel...

"Tight is right, any more and it's broken"!

On the thermostat, the gasket does most of the sealing..no need to go gorilla on the bolts.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,839 Posts
Also take into account that almost all of the nylon bits that bolt to an engine either have bolts with a shoulder or metal inserts inside the openings. Going tighter does not stop leaks (see valve cover and why it's important to replace the seals) it only tests the fastener's ductile strength.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I did the first one and then my uncle tried the next...
You guys have any ideas how much torque the bolts need? The Tstat housing on E46 has an O-ring seal and not paper gasket like the old days that needs more torque. As soon as the Tstat housing is bottomed to the block, more torque won't help to seal the leak.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
You guys have any ideas how much torque the bolts need? The Tstat housing on E46 has an O-ring seal and not paper gasket like the old days that needs more torque. As soon as the Tstat housing is bottomed to the block, more torque won't help to seal the leak.
It doesn't have an O ring. It has a built in rubber gasket.

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
5,448 Posts
Let's just not go any further into the semantics of what constitutes an o-ring vs what constitutes a rubber (or other material) gasket please.
It's not important to the conversation and there's been too much arguing here today already.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,839 Posts
"Profile Gasket" Done....

·
Registered
23 Posts
OP, sometimes it can be helpful to ease the bolt out, especially for h2o / tstat applications. Once you break the bolt free, let it out a little, then put it back in, back out, back in a bit. This usually contributes to success in these scenarios.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

yes just got quoted $900 for removal of two broken bolts replacement of therm. and reassembly of the 325ci.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or tighten them with a quarter inch ratchet and one hand by feel...

"Tight is right, any more and it's broken"!

On the thermostat, the gasket does most of the sealing..no need to go gorilla on the bolts.

my mistake was not having a proper gasket on the replacement to tell me when to stop torq

1 - 18 of 18 Posts