BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
This Autothority controversy is still going on? I remember a big fuss about this a few years ago.
What I know:
I have the software (that's my car on the web site). I've met and talked to several people involved, Barry, a weekend SCCA racer who's 330 was the first car and that's a dyno picture of his car. John from Revhigh, who works with them, is a self modder like many on this board and posted the original dyno chart. Several people at AutoT, who are very helpful, even gave me a ride in one of their modded (600+ HP, see current issue of European Car) Porches when I dropped my car off for the software. :D
All good car people and I haven't had a reason to doubt their integrity up to this point.

Now, you do not feel drastic changes with the software, but this is true for almost all NA engines. You do feel it in the higher rpm bands, which is why I noticed it more at the track than on the street.

I have not had any problems in 2+ years of use now. Why do people have problems with Autothority? :dunno:
How is the dyno chart a fake?
See previous thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53381

·
yuppie racing
1,902 Posts
one of the issues of "european car" from this past summer dynotested a 330 (or was it a 328??) with an autothority chip, exhaust, and ECIS intake- combined the gains was 18 hp. your telling me that 14 of that hp was from the chip????

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started modding cars with bolt ons starting with my old camaro z-28. What I found on average is that if u cut the "claimed" gains in half, its on average the most realistic.........

·
Registered
113 Posts
Can't tell you what proportion came from the chip. I make no claims other than you can notice a difference at higher rpms, I suspect because of the bump in HP and removal of the rev limiter. Doubt if much if any of the gains came from the exhaust, probably a combo of intake and software to get the 18HP.

Is it worth it? That's a personal question but I can assure you people pay more for less with other mods. Compare GruppeM intake to ECIS, cost/hp wise. Worth the addtional 300.00 or so, probably not but who am I to tell people how to spend their money. I like the GruppeM, just don't want to spend the money. :)

No, I don't think that chart is the original, I think it's a color reproduction of the original for the purposes of display on the web site.
Here's the original:
http://groups.msn.com/BMW5406modified/dynocharts.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=161
:lmao: Is this meant as an insult?

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,598 Posts
i have read thats its the ONLY chip that increases hp..( if not) the only one that gains excess 8+hp.. but isnt it like a 12 billies?

me gusta firme mota

·
Registered
374 Posts
$1200? NFW. I'd kick out $500-600 for an upgrade like this. it looks like you'll get similar gains as the GruppeM - $600 would be the max I'd spend on the chip.

Jim C? Paging Jim C...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where're you getting $1200 from? On the page linked in the first post it's listed at $499 retail for the ECU upgrade...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts